This car fault blew my mind in 2015

No amount of logic could solve this which happened to me 300 miles from Rot terdam - Nuremburg in 2015. Limped to hotel after breaking down 3 times whe n engine got too hot until it started when I let it cool down.

ALFA 159 2.2JTS

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED, BUT YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT IT WAS - I WILL TELL Y OU AFTER YOU HAVE GIVEN UP!

i have a 2.2 s and i have had problems for 5 months now . mine does nt cut out , but when you come to a stop a depress the brake i get the fuel gauge dropping to zero and asr vdc and hill holder inactive , plus i loose cruise control. and it does nt seem to do it when the car is cold.

people keep telling me its an injector wiring problem but i have no miss fi res codes coming up just p0100 and p0564 which is air flow meter and cruise control malfunction . and i have already replaced the maf the brake and th e clutch switch , the exhaust solinoid and a cam sensor..

. i have checked the injector wires once which involves removing the air pe lem . im up to £1000 in bills and still got no where . the car has a K &n airfilter fitted by Mangos but apart from that the engine is standard.

the only thngs i can think to do now is to try and get a original air box a nd filter and put that back on , and then replace the engine loom!

really need help with this please people

i am willing to drive to see anyone if they have any idea what could help

Reply to
Simon Mason

otterdam - Nuremburg in 2015. Limped to hotel after breaking down 3 times w hen engine got too hot until it started when I let it cool down.

YOU AFTER YOU HAVE GIVEN UP!

t out , but when you come to a stop a depress the brake i get the fuel gaug e dropping to zero and asr vdc and hill holder inactive , plus i loose crui se control. and it does nt seem to do it when the car is cold.

fires codes coming up just p0100 and p0564 which is air flow meter and crui se control malfunction . and i have already replaced the maf the brake and the clutch switch , the exhaust solinoid and a cam sensor..

pelem . im up to £1000 in bills and still got no where . the car has a K&n airfilter fitted by Mangos but apart from that the engine is standard.

and filter and put that back on , and then replace the engine loom!

The fault is obvious, you bought an Alfa.

Reply to
tabbypurr

No - these parts are fitted to every modern car, even Kraut ones.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Possibly, an air leak, which became bigger when one bit or another got hot. Or a component that had a fault when hot.

As I have no idea what a pelem is, for example, that doesn't help.

Reply to
GB

Had this on a pug. Faulty water temperature sensor i.e. 'full choke' even when warm...would only run above 3000 rpm when hot, and wouldn't start when hot at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's all a bit random. I'd guess that the connectors have been snagged off a couple of somethings that need to talk to the computer.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

There wasn't much mind to blow, to be fair.

Reply to
David Lang

Your incompetence in some way?

Reply to
Judith

Nut on the steering wheel?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Very good! Like the old computer PEBCAK thing :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

You are getting very close with the latter comment. It was OK cold, but faulty when hot.

Reply to
Simon Mason

It was OK at autobahn speeds, but as soon as you knocked it out of gear the engine died and so it only died at petrol stations as I coasted to the pump.

I had to use the starter motor to drive off.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Probably the plenum chamber. The bit between the throttle body and inlet manifold.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am assuming this is circa 2006?

If so get your self an OBD bluetooth pod from eBay and look for Torque Lite on Android for real time monitoring. If necessary get Torque Pro, its cheap enough.

Reply to
Fredxxx