Car aircon in winter

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should it be able to cool 8C air any lower?
I just had the sense to use a thermometer. Max fan to the windscreen vents, AC off, I read 16C (odd as it's 10C on my garden thermometer and 8C on my car's outside thermometer). Anyway, turn AC on, drops to 12C. Is a drop from 16C to 12C ok? I've heard that they have thermostats to stop it blowing freezing cold air. Maybe it'll still blow 12C when it's 25C outside? Anyone got readings they can compare this with from their own car?

Is that one of the used cars you bought to avoid depreciation?

Repairing the aircon costs a lot less than the several grand people lose on a new car.

I've not kept up with newer units. Used to be a limit around 5C to avoid coil freeze up.
As for pressure, that may be up come summer time.

I'll just leave it, it's cooling a little. If it's insufficient in summer, I'll recheck the pressure and add more gas.
--
Love conquers all, except in tennis.