Car aircon in winter

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should it be able to cool 8C air any lower?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should it be able to cool 8C air any lower?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I just had the sense to use a thermometer. Max fan to the windscreen vents, AC off, I read 16C (odd as it's 10C on my garden thermometer and 8C on my car's outside thermometer). Anyway, turn AC on, drops to 12C. Is a drop from 16C to 12C ok? I've heard that they have thermostats to stop it blowing freezing cold air. Maybe it'll still blow 12C when it's 25C outside? Anyone got readings they can compare this with from their own car?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

F Murtz

difference between aircon and climate control. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pretty well all AC car systems have a low limit sensor. To prevent them freezing up.

Climate control is just an integrated automated version of heating and cooling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)