Broken Bryant Air Conditioner

I have a Bryant Air Conditioning unit in my Condo, it's model # 18-514 Series A. I believe it's attached to the furnace as well (also made by Bryant) Recently it stopped blowing out cold air, and just blows out regular air. The thing is probably around 30 years old or so, so I don't want to put much money into it. But does anyone know of easy ways to at least diagnose what needs to be done to it, and/or if it's worth fixing? I assume I'd probably be better off getting a new unit, but I figure if I can save money, I will. Also if I need a new unit, I figure I would need a new furnace as well, and I would rather avoid such an expense.

thanks, you guys rock

-d

Reply to
darryl

With a unit that old, the heat exchanger could go first thing this winter. A new unit will be so much more efficient it'll pay back in 3 or 4 years to go ahead and replace now.

Tom J who did and saw my utility bill drop by 1/3

Reply to
Tom J

Hey Tom,

Just curious where you live and what efficiency your new furnace is? I have a 23-year old Lennox in our home (original to the house). The previous owner replaced the A/C in 2000, but not the furnace (yes, they are one and the same air handler). We're in Minnesota so winters can be harsh. Just curious what I can expect if/when we replace...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Believe me, If I was paying the utility bills I would get a new one much sooner, but thats built into my association dues, and there is no discount if I get a much more efficent unit. If I recall correctly, my furnace portion is only 40% efficient.

-d

Reply to
darryl

It's a seer 13 and live in Atlanta. It's almost 3 years old and almost saved the installation cost already.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Arrgh....shesh...30 years old..thats an honest to God Bryant too...not a Carrier....

Its broke..:)

HUH? Its about 2X past its life, and its sucking money every time you turn it on. You are throwing money at it. IF you find its a compressor, its a total and complete waste to put a compressor into the unit, and replacement of the outdoor condensor is a waste if you do not replace the evaporator coil with a matching unit. Period.

Check the obvious....breaker, or fuses, if you have a condensate pump with overflow shutoff wired in, see if its shut down on you, thermostats set to cool..(yes..I know its obvious as hell, but you would be surprised at how many calls we get a month, no cool, go and flip one switch...) Other than that, if you honestly do not know, call a tech.

You will save more money, by doing it right the first time. Honestly. A new

12 SEER unit will amaze you at your bill each month. I have seen bills drop over $200 a month by a new unit that isnt sucking power ever day. A honest tech, with a competent local, and licenced company, can be a lifesaver in more ways than one. I have a customer now, that will pay for his unit, completely, in one year....he is saving THAT much. Name on the unit means nothing, but the install means all.

Good luck...

Reply to
CBHvac

When you set the system for AC, you should have air blowing out the vents (you mentioned it's not cool). If it's not blowing cold, it's time to call a techie.

Go outside and look, listen, to the outside unit. Is air blowing out the top? Can you hear the fan and compressor running? If they are both running, it is hard to tell what the problem is. If they are both dead, then it could be something else.

In any case, a techie oughta be able to tell within an hour (or so) how badly shot the system is. You didn't mention any mechanical or electrical abilities. Checking the fuses or breakers is a good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

just think if the whole place is running those same units what you ALL could save on association dues if the savings was passed on to you "the association" with a mere 80% efficiency? damn I hate to think about a 92% and the savings, and we wonder why there is not enough power to go around....

Reply to
Dano

Most customers are only capable of telling rather the unit is running or not. (not that just the fan is running) Now if it's making noise with-out fan turning, that's another story.

An HOUR or so..........Damn man does that include travel time.......lol

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

BUT - if you put in a complete new system, you get the higher efficiency of the new furnace too. Our heating cost dropped as well as the cooling cost.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Hi,

My point was that I have a relatively new (2000) A/C-- I have no idea what the SEER rating is on it, but I'm not about to throw it out since it has a lot of life in it. The furnace that the unit is attached to was installed in 1980 -- again I don't know the efficiency but I bet it isn't that great. So eventually I need to replace the furnace, both because it will eventually die, and also for efficiency reasons.

In case anyone missed it in my previous post, it was the previous owner who chose to put a brand new A/C on a 20 year old furnace, not me

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Glad you cleared that up!! When you do need to replace the furnace, it would pay to get a matching unit with as high seer rating available from your heating contractor. It'll be a fast bay back on that old furnace.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J