What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos?
http://i.cubeupload.com/rHHKQq.jpg
(*) round back
http://i.cubeupload.com/RjfyRW.jpg
(*) wood interior
http://i.cubeupload.com/JtyYNW.jpg
(*) external fenders
http://i.cubeupload.com/9UecSp.jpg
(*) mounted on a frame
http://i.cubeupload.com/gWrN0H.jpg
Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used? And why would it have what looks like bullet holes in the back?
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC), Alice Jones

'28 Durante. ; ash ; someone shot it.
John T.
On 3/18/2017 3:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I would have guessed a model B

With all that wood it sure wasn't a Ford.
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 15:19:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

You could be right - the Durant Rugby (or as it was known up here, the "star"would be another possibility -(4 cyl Durant) It is NOT a Ford or an Essex, for sure -
I guess in 32 they diddn't call the phaeton or touring Chevt a Baby Grand any more -officially .
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC), Alice Jones

Looks to me a lot like a 31/32 Chevy Baby Grand, going by the shape, the between-the rails rear mounted fuel tank, and the double bead at the top of the body. Being an open body, not a sedan, I'd definitely say there is a VERY good chance.
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:29:31 +0000 (UTC), Alice Jones

Ash and Oak were commonly used for automotive body framing - Fischer Body division of General Motors used wood framing up untill 1937.
What were 'Woodies' made from - station wagons were in the 50's.
We had Wood carrier top that had to have Spar put on it now and then. I want to say the tailgate also, but not the sides.
Martin
On 3/18/2017 4:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:16:06 -0500, Martin Eastburn

By the fifties woodies were all steel bodys with wood trim. GM's last wood framed body was 1937. Ford's last real "woodie" was 1951,( Maple and Birch.) and other than the woodie wagons, Ford was all steel from 1935 on.. Even the '40's Ford woodies were steel framed, with wood skins and "trim" which was only semi-structural.
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:16:06 -0500, Martin Eastburn

The Chrysler Town and Country convertible in the forties just had decorative wood trim on an all steel body, as did Ford's woodies from '53 on. Very shortly thereafter, even that trim was "fake wood"
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 2:12:05 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Errm...1936 chev had an all steel. I had one in HS.

Nope. 36 still had some wood framing in the doors and doorposts. Mabee not quite as much as in a '35 - but '1937 saw the first ALL STEEL Chevy body. 1934 was the first year with an all steel "turret top" roof (no more slats and chicken-wire), but the doorframes and doorposts were still steel-wraped wood up untill the 1937 model year.
here is a picture showing how much wood was in a 36 4 door sedan. http://demiurgiac.com/36wood /'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf and here is a 36 chevy door - - - http://demiurgiac.com/36wood /'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf
Some low production vehicles like sedan deliveries had wood in them up into the forties.
Take a look at this article: http://demiurgiac.com/36wood /'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf
I know my old Chevies. I had a 28 (Wood wheeled National) and a 35 (master)
"Termite's delight"
Thanks, learn something every day! I was wondering if there could have been some wood in there.

69 Mustang, V8, with AC

For comparison... http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id9076

So it was *not* a 1928 Durant D-60 4-door Sedan.

.. it might have been a modified version. .. people were really radical, way-back-then. John T.
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:45:55 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

Take a look at ANY durant - the closest would be a 28 Star (or "RUGBY" as it was exported as) but the Durany is a 3 piece tub, not a stamped steel tub as shown - and the side panel is too long for a 4 door or touring. I've been around a lot of old cars - and the first thing that came to mind, with the way the gas tank is mounted, the double "bead" or "feature line" around the top, the moderate curve to the obviously stamped steel tub, and the lever shocks peaking through the floor on the one picture is "32 Chebby". Looked like a Phaeton except the side panel matches a 2 door body, not a 4.- and all "Chebbies" of that era did not have a separate roof - so it looks like somebody took off the roof to make a "topless" two door - not to use the roof elsewheere because the "riser" which would be left after removing the roof appears to have been metal-worked out (if indead it WAS a 2dr Chebby)
I'm still wracking my brain to find a better answer.
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:24:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

H'mmm, you just answered a question I had in my head, I saw a 2dr Chevy sedan and the tub near as I could see, seemed to fit, and I saw a sedan where the top was off, but there was a wooden post left attached to the hub.

Note the Durant doesn't have the "double bead" across the back of the body. That is pretty common on the GM cars of the period - and the rounded, curved in at the bottom profile was pretty well exclusive to 1932 - '28-30 were a lot straighter, for sure.
It's NOT a Durant - only a 28 Star would be close, and it does not have a one piece pressed steel bustle - the sides and rear quarters are separate and have a "bead" vertically on both sides to join them. This is a pressed steel "bucket" - That, with the double bead around the top of the beltline, rules our any Durant - and if it's a Chevy pretty well narrows it down ro a '32 . On closer inspection, it's not a touring or Phaeton because the door of a phaeton or fordoor would go back over the fender
So whatever it is, it started life as a 2 door, it's a stamped steel tub, I'd say LIKELY a 32 Chevy 2 door with the roof cut off. (Assuming it is a North American built vehicle)