What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?

Errm...1936 chev had an all steel. I had one in HS.

Reply to
Harry K

There is only ONE YEAR of Chevy yhat resembles that body - and it resembles it very closely. That year is 1932. NOT 1931, and NOT 1933. Totally different animals. 1932 was a 1 year only "baby Cadillac"

see:

and
That one is a deluxe, not a standard. Deluxe is a "6 wheeler" while the standard only has one spare, on the rear. It is also a 4 door - so you can see the one referenced by the OP definitely is NOT a 4 door anything. Here is another 2 door - not as rough as the one referenced --
and another
and another:
and another:
and another:
and another:
Note the "feature lines" at the beltline. and around the bottom of the "tub" - and the gastank cover. In all my years working on and playing with old cars I have not seen ANY other vehicle that so closely matches the "tub" referenced by the OP. It IS rather unique, when you get right down to it.

Reply to
clare

Nope. 36 still had some wood framing in the doors and doorposts. Mabee not quite as much as in a '35 - but '1937 saw the first ALL STEEL Chevy body. 1934 was the first year with an all steel "turret top" roof (no more slats and chicken-wire), but the doorframes and doorposts were still steel-wraped wood up untill the 1937 model year.

here is a picture showing how much wood was in a 36 4 door sedan.

'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf and here is a 36 chevy door - - -
'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf

Some low production vehicles like sedan deliveries had wood in them up into the forties.

Take a look at this article:

'36%20Factory%20wood%20drawings.pdf

I know my old Chevies. I had a 28 (Wood wheeled National) and a 35 (master)

"Termite's delight"

Reply to
clare

I'd say this matches it to a "T"

Looking at what you posted here I'd love to have the body, with a chassis tag for registration and channel the body by setting it over a frame and chop the top to about an 8" window, put a Tbird rear seat (cocktail lounge style) from a late middle 60's in the rear, nice buckets up front, a built 4 bolt main Chevy 350 with a Paxton blower with side drafts on it, plus the usual goodies with laughing gas for special occasions. Done up in chrome with a deep lacquer black cherry paint job. Make a nice Sunday family drive car, ;) or Friday and Saturday evening car for cruising and hanging out at a good burger place.

Even a decent rat rod would be good when your too busy with other stuff. :)

Reply to
OFWW

OFWW wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A Paxton supercharger? Not a 6-71? Granted, the Paxton will probably work a lot better (and be a lot cheaper), but the 6-71 has that classic blown hot-rod appearance.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Not very common to see side-drafts on a Paxon or McCulloch

Reply to
clare

Thanks, learn something every day! I was wondering if there could have been some wood in there.

Reply to
Harry K