DIY Aircon

A mate of mine just did a DIY aircon install, so I talked him into writing it up for the wiki. Seems like a good result:

John Rumm

An interesting read, thanks John.

A query, if you wouldn't mind asking your friend:-

Did the units have the connection points to support purging and leak testing with a vacuum pump?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
jones_michael_groups

Excellent, thank you!

Reply to
Huge

Thanks (to both of you).

One small, tangential, thought: would it be worth adding a _brief_ point on planning permission? Cock-shy:

Planning permission

You currently don't need it in England and Wales if:

it's reversible (so it's a heat pump) in residential property which is not listed the outdoor unit is less than 0.6m3 and at least 1m from the boundary.

It's permitted development. Scotland is similar but different.

Of course that's no guarantee neighbours won't complain about the noise.

Reply to
Robin

"the flanges for hanging the equipment are simply too weak to stop them sagging under the weight of the unit"

is it safe to leave it in that condition? Might it not fall off completely eventually?

Also, is an electrical isolator required at the outside unit, or a lockable isolator inside?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

(a guess, but there's nowhere else obvious)"

John Rumm

I had a look on the planning portal site, and that seems to be a subset of the requirements for installation of a air source heat pump under permitted development - but that does specify one *only* used for heating. It does not seem to mention much on AC/Heat Pump installs.

Richard said: "The planning permission and the sensibility of discussing plans with the neighbours are good points, but I'd prefer to describe how the regulations apply to me and what I discussed with the neighbours. I had an alternative location for the outdoor unit but they actually preferred the location for the outdoor unit which I felt would be more noisy to them."

(having heard it myself - its almost silent anyway, so probably non issue for small units like this)

Reply to
John Rumm

I guess time will tell. I presume its unlikely since they are probably sold a fair few of these over time.

That would be a good argument for dedicated circuit from the CU (so it could be locked off there) - although that is not strictly isolation.

For a domestic install running from a plug it seems like a non issue.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's great.

Thanks John & Richard

Mike

Reply to
jones_michael_groups

Mine wanted a 20A feed. Its only 1600W but I suppose they think it might trip a smaller circuit.

I also did the easy option and bolted the outside unit to a couple of

3x2 paving slabs.
Reply to
dennis

Yep, I cocked it up. I saw the regs. were silent on a/c so asked my council's planning helpline. They said the air sourced heat pumps could be run in reverse - as they had to be for defrosting. So I left it at that and started talking to neighbours, found one lot *not* happy and gave up until they come around.

Very fair, and wd be helpful.

.

When it's a Victorian terrace I fear "almost" is not a convincing point :( I'm hoping things will get better over time if they hear modern split systems to displace their memories of US-style boxes-in-a-window.

Reply to
Robin

As I was sweltering in my main bedroom a few weeks ago I thought I really ought to get on and do this. Would want a reversible one for the winter.

Reply to
newshound

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful comments. This write-up is my first contribution to any Wiki, and this is my first post to the associa ted forum. I am Richard, I read Electrical and Electronic Engineering more than 30 years ago and I currently work with the certification of medical el ectrical equipment for a living. I do DIY from time to time when I feel a r eal need and benefit, but not frequently. I wrote this article because ther e seems to be a bit of a dearth on this subject (and John suggested it) - p lenty of videos on YouTube but relatively few written articles. Well, I can 't find them.

I can see a need to add a few new sections to my write-up including plannin g regulations, and electrical supply options, and also explain this buildin g is in the garden of a house under single occupancy.

My use of the word "sagging" is a poor choice. I would like to have a brack et made out of sturdier material which I can press firmly into place and sl ide the indoor unit down into, but the nature of the job, with pipes sticki ng out of the back means the indoor unit has to be manipulated into place, not simply dropped down onto its bracket especially at the right-hand end. It is safe (honest!), it won't fall off (and if did fall, it would be dangl ing on its pipes ...) but a better choice of words would and will help.

I'd like to wait and see if more comments arrive in the next few days, and then write up the new things and re-work the poorer / misleading parts in o ne hit e.g. at the weekend.

I do think it is best to concentrate on the regulations for planning and el ectrics as they apply to me and my system, and also "now" i.e. July 2017. T his should keeps things focussed. For example, a larger system might well b enefit from a lockable isolator (e.g. to shut off one unit out of several) or need one (if the wiring regulations say so) but for such a simple system , isolation is obtained by pulling out the 13A plug and locking out (if nee ded) could be achieved by locking the door to the room. I prefer to write a bout what I done, and if useful or important why I have done it, rather tha n tell other people what they might or ought do themselves. This would prob ably justify an article on its own "wiring an ac" a bit like "wiring a fan ", but I don't have the knowledge or experience to attempt this.

I'll try for my updates at the weekend.

Richard.

Reply to
r.gawler06

I'd have to say - I'd be tempted to fit one at some point as it's straightforward (the hole through the double brick cavity wall would be the biggest PITA).

I have really hated some of the recent sweltering nights.

John's point on planning is a good one though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used to chain drill and knock through with a cold chisel for this kind of thing, but I decided that life was too short and started hiring a core drill from the local tool hire place. Takes longer to go and fetch it than drill the hole.

We have a monobloc one. Pretty old, very, very noisy, and not as effective as a split unit, but it blows cold air! I drilled a 110mm hole through the wall for the exhaust.

Reply to
Huge

I've rewritten the description of the wall bracket (a poor choice of wording) and plumped up the electrical section ... hope this is better.

- Richard.

Reply to
r.gawler06

How long did the core drilling actually take, out of interest? I need to put a boiler flue in of similar size...

Reply to
Tim Watts

10 minutes, maybe? Through a double thickness brick wall (no cavity - what's that, 9") + the Kingspan & dry lining ...
Reply to
Huge

I've added a section on planning permission - the legislation for England a nd the section and clauses in it which apply to me. It would all rather sno wball if I try to deal with other locations and scenarios, but I would hope anyone planning their own system would realise they need to find out which rules apply to them.

I think, I am so lucky to have such nice neighbours.

- Richard.

Reply to
r.gawler06

Blimey. I'll get one of those. If they do 25mm cutters, I have a number of pipe holes to do for radiators too - prefer something with some finess rather than bashing half the plaster off.

Reply to
Tim Watts