DIY aircon

Looking for information/recommendations for diy split aircon units.

I've looked at several web sites and it's obvious that some are more 'diy' than others, despite what the seller claims. So, anyone fitted one who could give me some advice?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
monopix

I've installed a couple of the fixed split load Airforce ones which B&Q sell, and they work well. The two units are pre-pressurised, and have a plug-in coupler. (They also do professional install versions of these which required pumping down and soldering, so make sure you get the right ones.)

The units are heavy -- I'd advise having some extra help at hand, although I did manage to lift them by myself. It's also helpful to have another person when it comes to mounting the internal unit and feeding the umbilical out through the hole in the wall at the same time.

You can also use them for efficient heating (but not when the outdoor temperature drops below around 5C). This means they should have only

5% VAT on them -- many smaller retailers do honor this, but B&Q doesn't, although they were still the cheapest when I installed them (about a year ago). If you make any trips to the continent by car, the further south you go, the cheaper the same aircon units get. Although they have got much cheaper in the UK over the last few years, we're still being ripped off in comparison with areas where they are more commonly used. About 6 years ago, a colleague brought a large window type unit back from the US in his luggage, which he picked up in a US DIY outlet. Even with the excess luggage fee, it was about 1/5th of the price of the same spec unit in the UK back then. That difference will now be less, but still significant.

I've decoded the remote control for the Airforce 12000 BTU one, so I can send commands to the unit from a computer -- if you search with google, you'll find my posting detailing this in one of the home automation newsgroups.

By the way, don't bother fitting one until you have got your thermal insulation up to spec. For example, trying to cool an upstairs room when you've got little or no loft insulation is just barmey.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Cool. I'm going to build a little box that sends out the code for maximum cooling. I'm going to call it the "brass-monkey" box.

Simply use from outside victims house while they are at work. :)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Go visit diy.com and see the comprehensive videos about installing one of their units. Very informative.

Reply to
EricP

Will second some of the advice already given - having installed the Airforce 9000BTU split unit / DIY install / pre-pressurised system.

In fact, right now it's chilling my nipples off whilst I sit in an 8'x6' room with two gaming-spec computers heating the place up.

Some points to note:

The airforce units have only a 4m "hose" connecting the indoor to the outdoor unit, which means for a 1st-floor location, you need to:- (a) bolt it onto the side of the house (a.1) fight the neighbours, and the estate management, until... (a.2) take the unit down (b) buy the 2m extension "hose" from B&Q (b.1) get told by store staff that they can order for you, but it'd be quicker to do it yourself (sic) on the website (b.2) wait for the 4-week delivery (b.2) phone up, get told that it'll be delivered tomorrow (b.3) phone up, get told it'll be next week (b.4) phone up, get told that they tried to deliver, no-one home (bollocks) (b.5) phone up, get told another 4 weeks (b.6) phone up, get told another 2 weeks (b.7) phone up, sure, another week (b.8) take delivery. Vow NEVER EVER to order from their website again, at least in store you can have an argument on a Saturday morning.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I fitted a Milleniumair system 2 years ago from global cooling - straight forward install and still working well.

Alan