Led lighting

I was about to buy some strip lights for work, 2x 4 foot flourescent tubes, (36x2 watts).
I'll be buying 5. Looking at the projected yearly savings it will take about 4 years to break even given the extra costs of the LED units.
So unless they give off better light, or last for ages, i'm struggling to see the point.
On Thursday, 5 January 2017 21:39:57 UTC, R D S wrote:

FLUORESCENT, DEAR BOY.
On 05/01/17 21:42, Simon Mason wrote:

A point to you, hope you relish it.
On 05/01/2017 21:48, R D S wrote:

My DW is absolutely brilliant at spotting spelling errors. If we go to a restaurant and there are no spelling errors in the menu, she is terribly disappointed. She'd have a field day if she ever found usenet. :)
On 06/01/17 11:10, GB wrote:

Its worse on the newspapers and the MSM sites.
I assume they are written by stewdents with meeja studdies degreas...
On 2017-01-05, Simon Mason wrote:

It's an easy mistake to make --- I know how to spell the word (out loud, for example) but still sometimes type it wrong, I guess because "ou" is more common in English & therefore in my finger memory than "uo" is.
On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:53:17 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

I had to keep checking "Floureon" batteries - had trouble spelling that, having avoided it for so long for tubes.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 06/01/17 17:53, Adam Funk wrote:

Yuo can stuff that up your doudenum then.
On 06/01/17 15:53, Adam Funk wrote:

I almost always spell guage wrong. Did I do it then? I didn't check. I've overthought it now, it has stopped sounding and looking like a word.
"R D S" wrote in message

You dropped the lan in front. You just need to remember that *gauge* is an awkward word in the English *language*. Gauge, a five letter word with u in the middle.
On 05/01/2017 21:39, R D S wrote:

Well I suppose it depends on where you are shopping.
--
Adam

I don’t think it does myself. I cant find anything even remotely competitive with long tube fluoros if you already have the fluoros and are only replacing the tubes as they fail.
Rod Speed wrote:

I was lucky, aldi had some and no one was buying, got them muchly reduced.Although people kept opening them and losing the replacement starters (just short circuits)

Trouble is, given that my long tube fluoros have generally lasted for 20+ years, it will take a while to be clear if those will last as long.
Rod Speed explained :

Where I have replaced CFL's with LED, a big advantage I have noticed is that LED's are instant on and at 100% brightness. There is also no start up consumption or wear and tear penalty for LED's.
I have one 5' fitting, which is on an occupation switch lighting the utility room. The room provides access to a pantry and a big freezer, so is constantly being visited, so the tube is fired multiple times per day - an ideal situation for replacing it with LED, when the prices fall. I might even get around to making something up using more conventional LED lamps.
On 06/01/17 11:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

apart from early days of the tech*, its been rare to see LEDS fail, though IIRC the dopant migrates and they lose brightness over time
I would say that they are now coming up to the sort of period - 20 years plus - where there is no excuse for failure at all.
*who hasn't seen a 7 segment display missing one segment...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Except for cheap corncobs, mine fail regurly.

I prefer the soft start with the one in the bed head light since I always get up in the dark now.

Sure, but that is a very minor consideration when the long tube fluoros last 20+ years.

Non of my proper fluorescent fittings take appreciable time to come up to full output - unlike those awful CFLs which I've only ever used as feebies in a cupboard, or outside.

A decent florry with a decent electronic ballast isn't going to be worried about being switched on and off several times a day.
--
*Starfishes have no brains *

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 09:11:25 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

In one of the sheds is a 5' florry, starts OK although it's an old one. There's 1 spare tube, but I'm very tempted to get 5 batten holders and 5-for-8-quid 800lm LEDs from SF. 4000lm and instant-on, spread along 5 - 6' would be a pretty good light.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away