Anyone used LED strip lights?

I've just fitted a strip of white LEDs in my small kitchen - 2 metres under= the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between= two plinths.

I'm very pleased with the result, there are 300 LEDs per 5 metre length and= they use 24 watts. Cost =A319 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free = postage.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm very impressed and all set to= make myself a kind of suspended ceiling fitting using them but I wondered = if there are any downsides to be aware of?

Reply to
Murmansk

the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between two plinths.

they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Could you share the ebay link?

Reply to
Lobster

the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between two plinths.

they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

I've just tried a Lidl 5 LED 3W total strip light under a cupboard. Bright to the point that the reflected light is dazzling. I'd like to say it's because of the cleanliness of the surfaces but . . .

Is there an easy/elegant way to tone down this effect, but maintain the amount of light?

If you like/don't mind the quality of light, you're lucky/wise with where you buy them, and you keep them on a lot, they do appear to be the way lights are going.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

use 24 watts. Cost =A319 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postag= e.

Murmansk

Hmm I wonder if they are weather proof. Looking for some kind of light for my garden path.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes there is a waterproof version - that's what I got. Rather than being li= ke a thin tape with raised LEDs on it it's got a layer of silicone-like cle= ar plastic on it and in cross section is almost semi-circular. It feels ver= y tough and rubbery and can be glued down using the attached self-adhesive = strip or, for more resiliant attachment, silicone sealant.

This could be used outside I guess as long as the transformer and where its= lead connects to the strip is protected from moisture.

Reply to
Murmansk

Weatherproof LED strips are available. Peritus offer them on their website, for example.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How are the LEDs configured? does every LED get the 12v or is there some sort series parallel arrangement across the supply?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Got a 3m set in the wifes display cabinet looks great and been in since October last year. Also got 2 3m sets for garden but snow stopped play! For xmas used the rgb 3m set worked great and you could dim them with the supplied controller . You can get the 3m leds from ebay for around £7 and they can be cut every 3 leds as marked on the rope. This applies to the rgb and single colour strings.The 3 led chain then runs from a 12vdc source. On ebay search for 300led smd and you will get 1000's to choose from. You can also buy the connectors and terminations if you need to cut the rope.(around 50p) HTH CJ

I've just fitted a strip of white LEDs in my small kitchen - 2 metres under the cupboards to light the work surface and another 3 metres split between two plinths.

I'm very pleased with the result, there are 300 LEDs per 5 metre length and they use 24 watts. Cost £19 on Ebay for strip and transformer with free postage.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm very impressed and all set to make myself a kind of suspended ceiling fitting using them but I wondered if there are any downsides to be aware of?

Reply to
CJ

check the plugs as they dont look right for BS1363 (partially sleeved eart= h pin!) See

for some further details

Reply to
Mike

>Looking at the (4A/6A/10A) transformers on the ebay page, you might want to check the plugs as they dont look right for BS1363 (partially sleeved earth pin!) See
for some further details

Well spotted. An IEC cable too, so it could have found its way to powering all sorts of gear.

At least the plug has a fuse.

Reply to
Graham.

UK trader too, let's hope it was just a stock image.

Reply to
Graham.