LED panel ceiling lights

Earlier I asked about downlighters and several replies suggested LED panels, having experimented with a few types of downlighters I'm unimpressed so want to explore the options with LED panels. The problem is that it's not possible to look at them in shops, or to pick one up (cheaply) to experiment with, so I hope there's a bit more experience with them out there in uk.d-i-y.

The circular panels penetrate the ceiling but I can't find any mention of them being "fire rated", are there any that are? If not, what do people do? It seems that some (most?) of the rectangular and square panels can sit under an unbroken ceiling, which would be wise because when one fails it probably won't be easy to find a replacement to fit into a girt big hole. What are people's experiences with these panels? Prices seem to vary from tens of pounds to hundreds for similar light output. I'm loath to fork out for two or three at £150, or so, each. Are there any makes/models to look for or avoid?

Reply to
nothanks

I have just installed a LED panel in our kitchen, it rated at 4000K and gives a very pleasant even light. The panel came complete with driver which connected to the panel by a short plugged lead. Most of the panels come in standard sizes designed to be fitted into the frames of suspended ceilings, the most common sizes are 600×600, 1200×600 and ours 1200×300. If you are surface mounting then you need a mounting frame and most suppliers usually stock one to suit.

We bought ours from here

As mentioned we are very pleased with the light output, I was less impressed with the frame which is flimsy to put up and not as accurately engineered. It's up now and from ground level looks fine.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I've used a couple of the circular ones, but only in small sizes, e.g.

fire rating wasn't an issue where I fitted them but low profile was (barely thicker than the plasterboard) the sideways firing ring of LEDs and 'clever' stack of diffusers gives a very broad and even illumination, I'll certainly consider them for other lighting.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can get surface mounting frames for most of them, so they can be installed without a false ceiling etc, and no need for a big lump out of the fire break. e.g.:

(reports from a mate of mine who has one like that over a workbench are very favourable - bright even shadow free illumination)

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought that looks a bit expensive; then I spotted how big and powerful it was! It would certainly improve my kitchen, but I think I'd want a dimmable one for the adjacent dining area.

Reply to
newshound

Andy Burns

They often come with a separate driver (power source - switched mode power supply) which has to be fitted somewhere. The panel has a short lead and socket.

For my bathroom 300mm x 300mm (surface mount) panel I installed the power supply (and junction box to replace the old ceiling rose) in the loft and just ran the low voltage cable/plug through the hole in the ceiling. My panel came with a rigid aluminium frame with 4 keyhole type holes. 4 screws in the ceiling with heads that fit through the wider part of the keyhole and the panel just slides into place.

I also have some round surface mounted panels where with a bit of careful planning the power supply/driver sits in the fitting within the

*enclosed) gap between the panel and the ceiling. Again they don't fit to a ceiling rose so some alternative method of connecting existing wires has to be adopted. In my case I did some minor modifications to the cheap and nasty fixing bracket to which the panel assembly fixes to.

Some fitting ideas (depending on what you purchase)

alan_m

They do a 600x600 version which is smaller / cheaper etc. Still 3600 lumens though.

John Rumm

Thanks. OOI, what size is the kitchen and what's the output of the panel? - some of the panels on the website seem not to spec the light output. Also, do you know what the CRI spec is?

I've seen different figures for daylight colour temperature, ranging from 4000K to 7000K - how would you rate the colour?

Reply to
nothanks

Thanks. I've been concerned about taking the plunge without trying but have just seen that they, and others, accept returns (with a possible 15% stocking charge and postage) so this seems like a fairly low cost way to explore and not be stuck with a £100 panel.

Reply to
nothanks

I think we'll want 4 or 6 panels for light distribution (there's a steel beam in the way), and also so that we aren't stuffed if (when!) one fails, so 600x300 and 2000-3000 lumens/panel is starting to feel like the starting point, with a colour temp at least 4000K and CRI of at least 80. Life was easier when we fitted a ceiling rose and bought a pendant bulb holder, a 100W bulb and a lampshade! Which reminds me, I tried to buy some ES pendant lampholders the other day but none of the usual culprits seem to stock them, yet many LED bulbs are ES or SES.

Reply to
nothanks

Thanks. I see that some panels are advertised with a "flicker-free driver", which makes me wonder whether the others flicker ...

The round surface mount lights seem to be about 70mm, much more than the square/rectangular panels.

Reply to
nothanks

The other one looks more interesting

You need the manuals to see what exactly they mean by interfaces and where do the drop down menus appear.

Reply to
invalid

Yes, the DALI one took my eye first, as I'm considering that for a new-build, but I guess most people would prefer a trailing-edge dimmer, they also do 0-10V dimming.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ahem! I think "drop down menu" refers to the order page, rather than a control interface. ;-)

Reply to
nothanks

One method of installation is to suspend the panel on wires to below or spanning a beam.

How may 100W bulbs would you have used in the same situation? Each of your 600x300mm panels is equivalent to x1.5 (ish) 100W incandescent bulbs

Reply to
alan_m

I haven't noticed any flicker on any of my panels. They all run from switched mode power supplies which operate at very much higher frequencies than the 50Hz mains. However, I don't have any panels that can be dimmed.

Reply to
alan_m

Ikea do a fitting with several ES bulb holders on, you just cut the cable off at what length you want and throw the other bit in the use later bin.

they also do a smart LED panel

which can be dimmed and has warm to daylight settings using the tradfri system or hue.

Reply to
invalid

It probably won't be a problem with square or rectangular ones. Many panels are likely to be standard sizes, to directly fit in place of the tiles in office suspended ceilings.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, but most office lighting comes in standard sizes that match the sizes of lift-out tiles that are commonly used. It doesn't matter that you can get much larger tiles, the common tile sizes and the matching lights don't change.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker