LED panel ceiling lights

Earlier I asked about downlighters and several replies suggested LED panels, having experimented with a few types of downlighters I'm unimpressed so want to explore the options with LED panels. The problem is that it's not possible to look at them in shops, or to pick one up (cheaply) to experiment with, so I hope there's a bit more experience with them out there in uk.d-i-y.
The circular panels penetrate the ceiling but I can't find any mention of them being "fire rated", are there any that are? If not, what do people do? It seems that some (most?) of the rectangular and square panels can sit under an unbroken ceiling, which would be wise because when one fails it probably won't be easy to find a replacement to fit into a girt big hole. What are people's experiences with these panels? Prices seem to vary from tens of pounds to hundreds for similar light output. I'm loath to fork out for two or three at £150, or so, each. Are there any makes/models to look for or avoid?
I have just installed a LED panel in our kitchen, it rated at 4000K and giv es a very pleasant even light. The panel came complete with driver which co nnected to the panel by a short plugged lead. Most of the panels come in st andard sizes designed to be fitted into the frames of suspended ceilings, t he most common sizes are 600×600, 1200×600 and ours 1200×300 . If you are surface mounting then you need a mounting frame and most suppl iers usually stock one to suit.
We bought ours from here
https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/
As mentioned we are very pleased with the light output, I was less impresse d with the frame which is flimsy to put up and not as accurately engineered . It's up now and from ground level looks fine.
Richard
On 11/10/2019 10:40, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Thanks. OOI, what size is the kitchen and what's the output of the panel? - some of the panels on the website seem not to spec the light output. Also, do you know what the CRI spec is?
I've seen different figures for daylight colour temperature, ranging from 4000K to 7000K - how would you rate the colour?
snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

I've used a couple of the circular ones, but only in small sizes, e.g.
<https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-ceiling-lights/led-panel-lights/recessed-panel-lights/6w-led-panel-light-450-lumens.html
fire rating wasn't an issue where I fitted them but low profile was (barely thicker than the plasterboard) the sideways firing ring of LEDs and 'clever' stack of diffusers gives a very broad and even illumination, I'll certainly consider them for other lighting.
On 11/10/2019 11:00, Andy Burns wrote:

"Add to this the fact that it comes complete with its own dedicated transformer":-)
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

I fitted the PSU in the garage remote from the light in the porch.
On 13/10/2019 14:56, Andy Burns wrote:

Was it a transformer or driver.
And yes I noticed you said PSU.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

constant current LED driver ...
On 11/10/2019 10:14, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

You can get surface mounting frames for most of them, so they can be installed without a false ceiling etc, and no need for a big lump out of the fire break. e.g.:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LEDlite_Modulars_1200/index.html
(reports from a mate of mine who has one like that over a workbench are very favourable - bright even shadow free illumination)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/10/2019 14:44, John Rumm wrote:

I thought that looks a bit expensive; then I spotted how big and powerful it was! It would certainly improve my kitchen, but I think I'd want a dimmable one for the adjacent dining area.
newshound wrote:

On 11/10/2019 15:06, Andy Burns wrote:

The other one looks more interesting
https://www.lampshoponline.com/dali-dimmable-72w-led-panel-1200mm-x-600mm.html
You need the manuals to see what exactly they mean by interfaces and where do the drop down menus appear.
dennis@home wrote:

Yes, the DALI one took my eye first, as I'm considering that for a new-build, but I guess most people would prefer a trailing-edge dimmer, they also do 0-10V dimming.
On 11/10/2019 16:39, dennis@home wrote:

Ahem! I think "drop down menu" refers to the order page, rather than a control interface. ;-)
On 11/10/2019 16:50, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

It made me smile.
--
Adam

On 11/10/2019 14:59, newshound wrote:

They do a 600x600 version which is smaller / cheaper etc. Still 3600 lumens though.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LEDlite_Modulars/index.html
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm formulated on Friday :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=led+panel+light&_sacat=0
On 11/10/2019 14:59, newshound wrote:

I think we'll want 4 or 6 panels for light distribution (there's a steel beam in the way), and also so that we aren't stuffed if (when!) one fails, so 600x300 and 2000-3000 lumens/panel is starting to feel like the starting point, with a colour temp at least 4000K and CRI of at least 80. Life was easier when we fitted a ceiling rose and bought a pendant bulb holder, a 100W bulb and a lampshade! Which reminds me, I tried to buy some ES pendant lampholders the other day but none of the usual culprits seem to stock them, yet many LED bulbs are ES or SES.
On 11/10/2019 16:27, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

One method of installation is to suspend the panel on wires to below or spanning a beam.

How may 100W bulbs would you have used in the same situation? Each of your 600x300mm panels is equivalent to x1.5 (ish) 100W incandescent bulbs
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 11/10/2019 16:27, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

Ikea do a fitting with several ES bulb holders on, you just cut the cable off at what length you want and throw the other bit in the use later bin.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hemma-triple-cord-set-white-10325659/
they also do a smart LED panel
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/floalt-led-light-panel-dimmable-white-spectrum-40436316/
which can be dimmed and has warm to daylight settings using the tradfri system or hue.