LED panel ceiling lights - follow-up

Quick feedback following the earlier discussions ... I ordered a couple of LumiLife 600x600 4000K 4000lm panels from LedHut - their fulfilment process was a mess but the panels are great. The light is close to daylight and nicely diffuse. Because SWMBO likes a lot of light, and it's a large'ish room, I've ordered another (despite my rant about delayed delivery) and will order a couple of 600x300s for an area behind a beam. In case there's too much light I've arranged to be able to change the switching. Thanks to everyone for the earlier replies; these panels are far better than downlighters.

Reply to
nothanks

I did that for a mates office where he had loads of the large, twin CFL downlighters.

What isn't, if you want proper 'light', rather than working under a disco ball. ;-)

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are totally different. A soft source rather than hard. Depends what you prefer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I ended up putting a 4000K spot light above my computer desk.

Now when I was a lad, keyboards were white with black letters and not black with white letters and there was never a problem:-)

A few months ago I also fitted 9 non dimmable spot lights to a customers bedroom. They were delighted with monstrosity, presumably as it shows off her Botox and fake tan from 9 lights not one.

Reply to
ARW

Don't they get in the way of the mirror?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I was surprised that there were no mirrors on the room.

All done by selfies these days?

Reply to
ARW

Ah yes, there was a television programme about that the other week. Apparently some young ladies earn about £1,000 a day posing in front of their mobile telephones.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Adam, I bought one of them dimmers you recommended. It works perfectly with the LED panel. Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Being a utilitarian, what I want is 'light', sufficient to do what I need to do and without it being noticeable.

So, if I'm just watching telly then some form of background (levels of) light is all I need, if I'm asleep in bed I want no light at all and if I'm doing stuff where I needed to see what I'm doing clearly, I need plenty of light.

I don't want shadows, I don't want to be replacing the lamps with any regularity, I want them to be efficient and easy to replace should I need to.

In the kitchen, workshop or study that's probably sill best served with fluros (or LED equivalents, IF they provide sufficient peripheral lighting, like I have stuff *above* the lights in the roof of the workshop).

In all the other rooms, an entire ceiling sized LED panel that would give enough light to work on detailed stuff but then be dimmable down to very low / off would probably be ideal.

Fitting 1,000 downlighters per room is heading towards that but with a lot more faff. ;-)

Unfortunately we have the central ceiling light / fans in the lounge and bedroom so the issue is getting *enough* light (because of the restrictions of the fitting) so have to used additional light (Anglepoise / side-lights etc).

Can you get a 3 x 4m LED panel? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You can get pretty close to that you just need to buy a suspended ceiling kit less the tiles and replace with the LED panels. You might just have to have a single row of ceiling tiles cut down to fit the gap as the LED panels obviously cannot be cut down to fit, but at least most of the ceiling will be light panels.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Good.

I have two non dimmable 4000K 600x600 panels if you want them (garage maybe?). I ordered two for a job and they delivered two boxes with two lights in each box.

Let me know and I'll drop them off sometime.

Reply to
ARW

We could do that as we have pretty high ceilings.

I have worked with many such solutions (and raised floors) in my days as a Datacomms Tech but even I'm not sure if that would be quite what I'd want because of other things (like the ceiling fan and coving etc).

A grid of surface mounted / rectangular / slimline panels could be a compromise though.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com brought next idea :

Same here, delighted with the ones I bought too. My kitchen has never been as well lit, at so little cost and with so little wattage. I bought two more, as spares/ looking for a use somewhere. I installed one in the pantry, it was always a bit dark in there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You would need one hell of a dimmer switch.

Reply to
ARW

If you dim at 240 volts yes.

If the fittings have internal dimmers and can be daisychained through DALI (64 devices on one control) or DSI (200 devices), not necessarily.

As an aside, I like this, but not the price.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog