Recessed Ceiling Lights in Plasterboard

I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time. I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling. Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will lead to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique? Why are they so strong?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have seen that... What can help is sealing the edges of the PB with paint or glue to stabilise it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I use PVA simply because I have some, I give it a couple of coats.

Reply to
ss

I've only done a few but FWLIW I'm working my way through the suggestions here:

So far the springs are winning - especially where "fire rated" :(

My current theory is that the plasterers' guild have got at several downlight manufacturers ;)

Reply to
Robin

They are easier to remove if the hole is not so snug

Reply to
FMurtz

So that when you pull it out of the void, they snap back and hit your thumb really really hard.... and you say things like "oh deary me, that smarts a little" (or words to that effect)

DAMHIK

Reply to
John Rumm

ROFL!!!

(Doesn't it.)

Reply to
Huge

It could be that the hole is a few mm under sized.

Was there not a thread here not so long ago from F about repairing or protecting the holes?

As for tips to get them down without damage it has IMHO to be one side slowly first until the clip is half way down followed by the other clip.

Reply to
ARW