Recessed lights in roof soffit

I want to install recessed lights in roof soffit. Can I use ordinary indoor RL housing? The housing will essentially be inside the soffit, not exposed to weather.

I also want to trigger these soffit RLs with dusk to dawn and possibly motion sensor but I could not find stand alone dusk to dawn sensor anywhere.

Reply to
ls02

Your first consideration may be whether the building code permits this (cf. the risk of fire in wiring exposed to atmospheric damp.) The local agency for building permits can advise you.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You can use any frame kit rated for damp locations. Both motion detector heads and photocells are available at places like Homedepot. I believe the motion detector heads that HD sells have a dusk to dawn feature on them

Reply to
RBM

HD sells 2 types of dusk-dawn photocells: one is mounted in the cover of a standard work box, and the other screws into a standard box knockout. i have one of each in my house, and replaced them with the HD ones in the last few months.

Reply to
chaniarts
.

I assume dusk to dawn or motion sensor including the one inside outdoor lights does not carry any load itself so several of them can be wired in parallel and also additional lights can be added down the line that the sensor controls.

Reply to
ls02

I assume dusk to dawn or motion sensor including the one inside outdoor lights does not carry any load itself so several of them can be wired in parallel and also additional lights can be added down the line that the sensor controls.

They are rated in wattage. Garden variety are 1800 watts

Reply to
RBM

By parallel you mean that you want to install several and have any one of them trip all of the lights? That would be interesting as you will be shorting out the power across all of them when one trips. I would guess that it would work. They probably have a triac controlling the output. You may confuse them though.

The thing that may or may not complicate things for you is that many of these get there power from the light. They do not have both a hot and neutral going directly to the sensor. They are in series with the light. Sensors that have their own complete circuit would be more reliable for what it sounds like you want to do.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I used the standard IC rated one for a porch light (2002). The electrical inspector required the solid glass cover such as one would use over or near a shower. The one I have at my residence (1995) is the same open baffle design as the interior fixtures and uses an interior bulb.

As for your sensor:

I am fairly sure there is a line voltage version that could control the entire circuit. You find this type of item at the BORG. Go to a supply house.

Reply to
Colbyt

om...

I mean the sensor just shortens hot wire from source with hot wire going to the load. when shortened the current does not flow through sensor so the sensor is indifferent what wires and what loads it controls.

Yes, I want to any sensor turn on all lights, so I essentually can tie together all hot wires going to sensors from the same power source and then tie all hot wires going to all loads after all sensors. This way if any sensor turns on it will complete the circuit and all loads will be powered.

Reply to
ls02

you mean shorts or shorted.

essentially you are putting all the sensors in parallel.

yes, that should work as long as every sensor is rated to carry the entire load.

Reply to
chaniarts

Neighbor did this during a remodel. First the inspector said they had to be damp area lights like for a bathroom. After he takes them back and gets the right ones and installs them the inspector tells him he has clearance issues, not enough space between the fixture and the roof decking. I think he solved the problem with low voltage lights.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE