Recessed light in fire-rated ceiling

Hi,

I'm installing a recessed light in my soon-to-be enclosed boiler room. The boiler room will have 5/8" thick fire rated drywall ceiling and walls. Here's my question: Do I need a special fire-rated recessed light can? Do I need to make a 5/8" drywall box all around the light, in between the ceiling joists? Or do I just use any standard recessed light can and move along with my work? What is the right thing to do?

Thanks, Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

You need to maintain the fire rating of the ceiling. If the AHJ is OK with your "fire rated" lights, you are done. I have seen the boxes tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Progress makes fire rated recessed lights. Go to a lighting store or an electrical supply for price and availability.

Check with your buiding inspector and fire inspector to see if a fire rated can is required.

John Grabowski

John G

Just installed 8 can lights, Portland, OR. Had to build 5/8 drywall boxes, and when done, had to use fire-proof caulk on all the wire penetrations. Fl oor (basement ceiling) joists were uniformly spaced and I precut all 40 pie ces. Pain in the a** but doable in circa 2 hours.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Pain in the a** indeed.

I gave up and pulled out the recessed light and put in a traditional ceiling box. So, my boiler room will have a good ole' fashion light fixture.

Thanks so much to all the respondants for your technical insight. Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

I'm installing a recessed light in my soon-to-be enclosed boiler room. The boiler room will have 5/8" thick fire rated drywall ceiling and walls. Here's my question: Do I need a special fire-rated recessed light can? Do I need to make a 5/8" drywall box all around the light, in between the ceiling joists? Or do I just use any standard recessed light can and move along with my work? What is the right thing to do?

I think that was the smartest thing to do. Simple, inexpensive, solution and no issues about the fire rated ceiling.

Reply to
TomR