LED ceiling panel

Just installed a couple in the kitchen ceiling. I done most of the work from 1st floor. While I have the floorboards up should I create a fireproof box/surround/enclosure (plasterboard), I am just thinking this would be a weak point in the event of a fire (me thinks)

Thoughts.

Reply to
ss

What is the rest of the ceiling made of and what is the panel made of. To be honest I bet nobody else would think of this issue, aiming for no fires! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ceiling is plasterboard, the LED is aluminium casing. When turned on and viewed above there are tiny chinks of light get through hence my thinking potential fire hazard smoke etc.

Reply to
ss

Ceilings in a 2-storey house aren't usually considered to be separating fire compartments, but this is a kitchen with an increased risk.

Personally I would plasterboard around, if reasonably practicable to do so. As well as smoke and fire protection it will help stop condensation and cooking smells penetrating the floor void.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The LED light may require the space behind for ventilation. Enclosing it may shorten life. Check instructions.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No instructions either way.

Reply to