The most unsafe car ever?

Page 1 of 3
"Never mind the fact that this is a Ford Pinto, a car that has been plagued by safety issues throughout its life, most notably a serious rear fire hazard. No, it's the incredible state of disarray that this Pinto was found in that makes it perhaps the most unsafe car we have ever come across."
http://autos.aol.com/gallery/unsafe-ford-pinto-minnesota/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews
I prefer to think of it as a "project" car. Though come to think on it, I've never seen anyone fill their gas tank through the passenger-side window...

Careful what you say as I drove one just like that (my station wagon was baby blue color) for about 4 years. I kept it immaculate and I never had any accident but it was flimsy because I could dent it in certain places with a good punch with my fist. Also my carburetor came loose twice. It was also noted for it's acceleration.... that is if you step on the gas pedal and count to about 10, you will see some acceleration. I remember my mom who wasn't a fast driver ask me if it accelerated after she had to use the car. I think I seriously told her to count to 10 or so then. That may seem dangerous but you learn to compensate for it after a while. It was good on gas but I don't remember what it got because gas wasn't a costly item then.

- no floorboards left - and the triver's seat perched on top of an old tire, a boat gastank where the passenger's seat should have been - not sure what was holding it up because there was no floor in the footwell area - - - -
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:02:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Right but I did after I posted above.
On 7/11/2012 2:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/unsafe-ford-pinto-minnesota/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews
Somehow that car reminded me of the Mel Gibson movie "The Road Warrior". ^_^
TDD
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:18:03 PM UTC-6, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I had a 1972 Pinto and it was a great car. Never had one gas tank explosion. Excellent German made motor. Brand new I think it cost less than $2000.00

A '65 or newer Corvair was as safe as any other car on the road - and a '64 or earlier no worse than a VW, which used an almost identical rear suspension geometry and had the same high polar moment of inertia
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Being a glutton for punishment, I owned 4 Corvairs. Even the 61 handled great as far as I was concerned.
Also had a '63, '65 and '66.
From '65 on, the car had 4 wheel independent suspension like the Corvette Sting Ray.
Never had one that didn't get engine oil smoke into the passenger compartment.
--
Dan Espen

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:05:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had a '62 Corvair Monza. It had a comfortable bucket seat, handled well and was probably the most fun car to drive that I ever had. Great in snow too.

I've disliked Ralph Nader ever since his hatch job on the Corvair.
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/handling01.html
Yeah, the earlier version could have handling issues if driven unsafely. But the 61' with the 4 one barrels was fun a lot of fun to drive.
By 64', (I had one of those also) the Corvair had the upgraded rear suspension and handled great.
Of course all Corvairs were "street oilers"....... check the gas & fill up the oil. Also, the standard heater blew oil fumes into the passenger compartment. :(
cheers Bob

permanently - in about 1969 they cost all of $15.

That was almost a days pay for many in the area I live in back then. Now it would be about $ 200 for the set. Also if you could not do it your self, it would be much more. Too bad GM did not spend a few extra dollars on them when the motor was built.
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:16:20 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Ralph-
Thanks for pointing out the relative cost..... I didn't start driving my 61 corvair until 1970. I bought it from my brother for $25.
I was in high school and only making $2.50 an hour so $15 would have been nearly a day's pay. Plus I only worked ~20 hrs per week.
cheers Bob

them for $10.95 today.
On Jul 12, 12:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

True. And the Federal minimum wage was $1.30 an hour.
That's about 14 hours worth of minimum wage work, after taxes.
On 7/12/2012 2:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

many times we spend many hours worth of pay to fix the ride.. Or we can breathe the smoke.
--
Steve Barker

..Snip...
That wasn't my point. cl used the phrase "in about 1969 they cost all of $15"
When phrased like that, "all of $X" implies "a inexpensive item" - pocket change. At least that's how I interpret "all of $X".
$15 in 2012 dollars sounds pretty cheap (~2.5 hours minimum wage work) but when referring to 1969 dollars, I wouldn't use the phrase "all of" which, to me, makes the item sound inexpensive.
Working for 14 hours to earn enough for the repair may absolutely make sense, but making an item that requires 14 hours worth of work sound inexpensive doesn't.
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:36:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

autozone. I bought 2 sets a couple of years ago -not including shipping I paid $15 for the 2 sets. They were likely closer to $5 or $7 back "in the day".
Looking a little farther, CPD has the viton set on for $7.35, and Clarks had them listed at $1.65 EACH in 2002
The original factory seal set was about $3.
On Jul 13, 12:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Now the numbers match a little better. :-)
To earn the cost of a set, it would take a couple of hours of minimum wage work, both now and then - roughly.