Taking apart a large transformer

Page 7 of 9

Could not agree more. Pictures of both transformers (the big one and the isolation one) are at
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/capacitors /
I just uploaded them.

I have no idea if it is step up or stepdown, looks like it is for many things.
LOL. These are standard electrolytic capacitors and have no PCBs in them!
However the metal cans at the back may have. Careful with them.
wrote:

from a

$0.02
Wrong! It's worth over $1/lb, and any recycler will gladly accept it.
Harold
LOL...good luck with that one! We scrap surplus copper everyday in my business.

Speaking from the position of a guy that, as a kid, did one hell of a lot of copper wire recycling------that's how I made my money-------------------
For someone that claims to be recycling copper on a daily basis, you don't appear to know much about copper. *ANY* copper wire that is used for electrical purposes is electrolytically refined copper. It must have excellent electrical properties in order to be used, and also to be drawn successfully. It is by the electrolytic refining that copper attains that level of quality. It's also necessary for the refinery, for copper, as extracted from ores, is typically the carrier of other elements, many of which are valuable (gold, silver, platinum, palladium, etc.) and it is in the electrolytic process that they are recovered. It would be absurd, at best, to assume that copper wire isn't pure, unless it is alloyed to specifics for a given purpose.
If, in the process of making connections, the copper has tinned ends, the copper is used in the brass industry for alloying to their specifications, so the recycling market still has a keen interest in buying it. There is *always* a market for recycled copper, it is never worthless as you suggest. If you're not getting paid near market price, it's your own shortcoming that is preventing you from doing so. You're being taken for a ride and don't know it. Maybe you need to step up to the plate and get an education.
If you have anything in the way of links to lead me to information contrary to this, feel free to provide them. I'm not interested in your opinion. You've already shown us that you don't have a grasp on reality and don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Harold
You sure spent a lot of time trying to convince me you don't knwo what I am talking about...LOL
You obviously know nothing about scrap metals. The purity of the copper is not related to the price. It is the purity of the mix. Copper with anything mixed in with it or bonded to it is classed as "mixed copper". You may have to pay the scrapper to haul it away.

of
that
There
an
contrary

am
anything
have
Uh huh.
yawn.
Harold
Is there some particular reason you can't use the UPS as it was origionally intended? I bought a 14 kva unit on Ebay for $41 and after $125 for new batteries have unit powering my electronic assembly pick-and place machine at 230 VAC. I can pull the plug and the machine just keeps on running.
If it only lacks batteries, it is worth at least $50.
The input/output are changed by internal wiring plus software parameters.
Just wondering, Paul
Ignoramus22732 wrote:

as

1) I have enough UPSes and a few to spare, already (made 2,500 on a $45 lot of 28 UPSes and kept a few cosmetically bad ones)
2) This thing is a monstrosity.
3) It is missing the front control panel, likely unrepairable
I am mystified as to how they manage to put the windings on Toroids.
The Copper wire can be used as Grounding but you must check the diameter required against the load it is intened to Ground, this can be achieved by twisting many strands of it together of course (as with any other type of wire).
As for getting the wire off a laminated transformer in one peice, whew?
Most of my component stock is derrived from this sort of venture and that odd screw is very usefull to have around if you need one!
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------

This is approximately 3x8 mm rectangular wire. Huge cross section.

Yes, I also have a growing pile of old recycled bolts etc. Very nifty.

Ok, you seem to have made the right decision. I am trying to remember what the transformer looks like. Is it a toroid or a regular rectangular shape. I think the transformer on my big unit is a toroid. I don't know what the core material is. Could be ferrite. I know there was a bunch of tapped windings.
Are you in an area where you could throw it on a trash fire and burn out all the insulation. Then you could see what is there. I used to do this when I lived in Portland, OR and had a wood furnace. Still have some BIG copper strap from a burned out transformer.
Paul

Thanks!
It is rectangular, but with many windings.
there is also a 30 lbs isolation transformer.

Absolutely NOT.

That's what I want, to take it apart and take the copper strap, it is super useful around the house. About 3x8 mm in cross section.
snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com wrote:

A lot of that stuff is very carcinogenic when burned. The plastic coating on much of the wire causes great danger to living things when burned. Egg shells become very thin when the bird has been exposed to the burnt chemicals, so they break during nesting.
Please don't burn insulated wire or plastic. It's disgusting stuff AND now illegal in many places.
mike
--
He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in
wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

A small but vocal group of citizens in upstate NY is lobbying for a law which allows the shooting of people at campsites who spend an entire weekend burning plastic shopping bags. :-)
Doug Kanter wrote:

Where do I send the contribution? They may need more ammo.
mike
Send to: "Bob" Tent Site 118 Nick's Lake State Park Old Forge NY
ROFL!

This is Turtle.
i , first before starting to take apart this transformer contact your Medical insurance company and add on a Cancer Policy for you and the family members for your may need it if you spill any of this liquid at your house or on you. The transformer oil in not cancer causing stuff till it is used over a year or so and then it become PCB . the stuff is activated by the electricity going through it and become a Cancer causing stuff after they have been used. Now here is a chance to get rid of a unwanted Brother in law or kind folks by just getting them to take it apart and get the oil on them. In Short order your in the class of getting cancer soon.
So if you interested in keeping your family safe and not have cancer. You need to have it hauled off to the Power company work station and dump it out when they are not looking and they have the means to dispose of it properly. There maybe $30 or $40 of copper in it but having Cancer will wipe out that profit real fast.
i , DON"T TOUCH THAT STUFF AND GET RID OF IT.
TURTLE

This must be Turtle!

Turtle, you're about 8 hours too late. Read the rest of the posts. :-)

Thanks Turtle. That is a dry transformer, there is no liquid in it.