Taking apart a large transformer

Page 5 of 9
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:24:53 -0800, Orrin Iseminger
<Big Snip>

And now you've got a PCB-laden Superfund Site on your roof. :-0
("Well, it sure sounded like a good idea at the time...") ^_^
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
The railroads used old PCB oil to keep there ties preserved and there gravel from dusting.
wrote:

PCBs?

Big difference between a DRY Transformer and a PCB Cooled Transformer. Maybe you should learn the difference, before you post your Ignorance...
Me

I don't know which type the OP is dealing with. Do you? Considering that I don't know, was it a crime to suggest that he investigate further before continuing with his project?
Even more important: Why do you take it personally when I posted my suggestion?

I personally appreciate your suggestion, even though it is very unlikely to apply to my non-liquid-filled transformer.

Well, bingo. If it's non-liquid filled, you've eliminated an important question.
I believe he stated that in the first post. All you guys have a bad Christmas or Jewish and didn't see Santa or something?
LOL
wrote:

safe
Ignorance...
that
before
You believe he stated that? Go back & read it again. For those of us not familiar with transformers in general, there is no clue as to whether it contained liquid. But never mind. You may *think* it's a problem that I suggested he proceed with caution, but in fact, it was *not* a problem. You just needed to be heard.

YOU just needed to read his original post. He stated it pretty clear he was looking at laminations and windings and paper. If it even remotely was a oil filled transformer, it was a little late for that.
wrote:

environmental

And as I pointed out, I don't know enough for "laminations and windings" to mean anything at that point in the discussion. My goal was to get him to slow down and wait for a little more input from others. You don't really have a problem with that, do you?

He doesn't need to "Slow Down", you need to keep up with the thread, and read what the OP stated in the first place, and COMPREHEND what he wrote. The rest of us certainly understood what he stated, and your whole PCB thing was just "Off the Wall" because it was obvious to the rest of the UNIVERSE, that he had a dry transformer..............
Me

Mine was the 2nd post in the discussion, so there WAS no thread to keep up with. Is that clear, or do you need a diagram?
As far as comprehending what he wrote, if I knew enough to extrapolate from his description, I would not have asked my question. However, as it turned out, it seems there *are* some parts in his UPS that may require careful handling due to PCBs.

Correct.
No, there is no PCB in that UPS. The sealed capacitors do not contain PCB.

OK....but still.

But still what???? You just can't get your mind around the issue that you posted comments that had NO Bearing on the OP's question........ No PCB's anywhere in the stated unit. The UNIVERSE knew this before the first reply post happened. Apparently you did not, but posted your lack of knowledge anyway......
Me

The OP is aware of something he knew less about before this thread. There is nothing wrong with knowledge.
In the 1980s, there was a cartoonist named Kliban, sort of a predecessor of Gary Larson (Far Side). In one of his cartoons, there's a Neanderthal sort of creature using a long stick to open a book from a distance, as if he's afraid it might bite him. Sounds like you.
<snipped everything>
I took apart a large transformer some time ago. I don't know if it contained any PCB. If it did, it was in solid form. The reason that I took it apart was that I couldn't get it to transform from the cyborg to the jet plane. :-)
--
Bill

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:19:41 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Actually, there was a real good clue, as he described the visual appearance of the windings - which is pretty difficult if the windings are inside a can full of oil.

I've work with tranformers for over 27 years, and most them are I filled. I've seen lots of windings and laminations, its pretty easy once they come out of their tank.
regards,
John

Yes, I do know which type the OP has, and it IS a DRY type, and always has been. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out these things, even without hours, and hours, of DIRECT experience with ferroUPS equipment. If you don't know, just keep quiet, and the rest of the world, won't know, that you don't know. but if youinsist on opening your mouth, or typing out of your brain, you leave no doubt, that you don't know....
Me