Stud finder - buying advice?

I have an inexpensive stud finder that doesn't seem to work too well. The local big box stores carry models ranging from around $10 to over $50. Of course, the pricier ones come with more features - like detection/location of AC lines and metal pipes. Some are integrated with a laser level.
In your experience, is it worth the money to get a pricier/fancier model as opposed to a basic one?
When I am using a stud finder, it is because I am about to drill or saw into a wall/ceiling/floor. It is *very* good to know as much information as possible about what is behind where I am about to drill.
Is there an AC wire? Is there a pipe? Where are the studs? Is the wall constructed with metal studs? Etc.
So I get the model which will give me the most information, which is simple to use (the fewer buttons/settings, the better), and is least expensive with all these features. I think there were 3 models which did *all* this stuff and I chose the slightly more expensive model. I think it had fewer buttons to push. But I did not buy the most expensive model which had stuff I never would need.
"All Thumbs" wrote in message

I only bought the one I could find specs for. I was pretty amazed to notice the specs on a lot of them were +/- 1/2" or more! And the cheap ones don't have any specs at all. Anyway, I buy by the numbers, so to speak. That in turn means you have to buy from a place that specializes in that kind of equipment, not an RS or Sears etc..
HTH, Pop