stand pipe for automatic washing machine

I was told to discharge washer into a stand pipe. What is a stand pipe? Thanks for your time.
Desiglass wrote:

Hi,
http://www.applianceaid.com/newimages/drain-min.jpg
A drain pipe hooked into the house drain instead of useing a sink.
Is there such a thing as a "manual washing machine"?

Yes.
--
Regards,

Well then I'm glad he clarified, because I'm sure everyone would have been confused otherwise. -Tim