Maytag clothes Washer Won't Spin

Older Maytag clothes Washer: Model A606S; SN: 3232241D1Y Ever since the water backed up & overflowed it with clothes in it, it will Not spin!

Not much room however, I believe a piece of clothing overflowed between the inner spin basket & the outer basket. It makes a load noise & the belts appear to slip. It is like the basket locks up & will not even begin to spin now, as it got worse.

How big a job is it to remove the inner basket, my hands are severely messed up with carpal tunnel & I can not do much of anything! Could a wire be fixed with a hook to fish the piece of clothing out?

What would you do? Could replacing the pump & main drive belts help? - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

I may cause added carpal miseries but I am going to try to pull the agitator & remove the inner basket. I have always fixed everything that needed repair-work, can't stop now. I know the outer basket needs cleaning & then I can remove any clothing in there. I also intend to buy new belts as I know the old belts are badly worn.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

I may cause added carpal miseries but I am going to try to pull the agitator & remove the inner basket.

(So far, though I used the prescribed method, I cannot get the agitator pulled!) Any ideas?

I have always fixed everything that needed repair-work, can't stop now. I know the outer basket needs cleaning & then I can remove any clothing in there. I also intend to buy new belts as I know the old belts are badly worn.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Isn't that the machine from 1960s with suds saver?

Those were really cool!

I hear the Maytag man isn't busy, you can call him

Whatever you do, save this machine!

Mrs. Clean

udarrell wrote:

Solving - External Static Pressure (ESP)

Reply to
neilyoung_at_heart_2006

Yes, it is the old suds saver model. It has been a great clothes washer.

The two bolts that hold the top on the basket are rusted real bad, used liquid wrench on them but can't budge them yet. Also couldn't pull the agitator.

I hope I can save it, but have to get it apart to fix it. - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell