Sawzall -- Same as Reciprocating Saw ??

Page 1 of 2

I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but I do have some basic homowner tools. One tool that I have thought of purchasing as I think it would be handy in many instances , is a recriprocating saw.
I have heard of a Sawz-All (not sure of spelling). Is this the same as, or just similar to a reciprocating saw ? Is it a brand name ? Is there a need to have both ?
I would like a saw where I could make short cuts in tight places, and in which I could put a tempered blade in and cut a small bolt loose, cut up rebar, and things like that.
Any comments ???
Thanks for any advice on these "green" questions !!
--James--
A sawz-all is a reciprocating saw. I think the name sawz-all (spelling?) is the name owned or coined by Milwaukee tool company. Other companies make a competing version.

Oh, yeah. Big-time handy. I wouldn't be without one. I've had a Craftsman reciprocating saw for fifteen years or more, and I can't begin to count the number of times I've used it, or the different jobs I've used it for.

Milwaukee.
Just the ticket.

better.
SawzAlls should be made illegal for plumbers and electricians =) EDS

electricians, to get their tickets, should have to work on a framing crew for at least a week, and learn where it is and is not safe to cut, and how to add wood back in if they absolutely <have> to remove something.
aem sends...

And framers should work with plumbers and electricians so they can see how their work can cause considerable extra work for the plumber or the electrician....
Actually...they should consult with the designer prior to removing any wood...regardless of how well they know how to "put it back."

Well, you got to understand them. It is so much easier to install plumbing or wiring when the whole house is chopped apart and removed. Otherwise all those timbers are in the way of the work.
What's worse is when the heating duct installer decides that 10 inch steel I-Beam in the basement is in the way of his 12 inch duct, and gets an acetaline torch and removes a few feet of that beam right in the middle of the house.
Thank all of you for the quick answers !!!
--James---
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:31:15 -0400, "James Nipper"

I have the Milwaukee Sawzall. It can take various types and sizes of blades. I used it last week to cut off the bolts to my car's muffler. There's a more powerful "Super Sawzall." It really is a "wonder saw" but its use is mostly for demolition rather than precision jobs.
<< There's a more powerful "Super Sawzall." It really is a "wonder saw" >>
Positively absolutely toatlly agree with that one. The Super SawzAll has a slick non-kickback mechanism that makes all cuts easier. It's kind of like the difference between a straight shotgun and one with a recoil operated mechanism. M16's and AK 47's come to mind, too. HTH
Joe
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:31:15 -0400, "James Nipper"

Yes, it's a reciprocating saw. It's Milwaukee's trade name for their saw. The other power hand tool makers also make them: Porter-Cable has some even more powerful models, but Milwaukee's are lighter and better balanced.

Those are some tasks these are good for. What they're not good for is tasks like cabinetry: they cut too fast and too rough.
--
Chris Green

Sawzall is Milwaukee's bailiwick. Check their site online. They make different sorts of tools now too but the Sawzall became so identified with the category, it's become almost a common noun, like kleenex or coke.
Sawzall still routinely wins almost any contest or review so consider buying it used. Many many many used ones around, they go forever. Built better than the cheap Chinese ones at Harbor Freight, though even a used one is likely to cost more.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:31:15 -0400, "James Nipper"

Same tool. Sawsall is a brand name for the Milwaukee tools

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=n3ae60.2.4
Sawzall is Milwaukee Brand reciprocating saw. Pay a little more and get the quick release chuck. Even if you only use it occasionally, you'll be glad you did. Somehow, you always lose the hex wrench that fits the blade clamp!!

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=n3ae60.2.4
replying to James Nipper, joe wrote:

joe wrote:

What a dick . Sawzall is a brand of reciproccating saw .
--
Snag

On 09/07/2016 12:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote: ...

Just to be pedantic, it's a trademark for the saw; the brand is actually Milwaukee. :)
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 1:58:26 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Just to be pedantic, Milwaukee is the source.
Stolen without permission from:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrymclaughlin/2011/12/21/what-is-a-brand-anyw ay/#7f2086602aa4
[The first definition of “brand” is the name given to a pro duct or service from a specific source. Used in this sense, “brand” is sim ilar to the current meaning of the word “trademark.”]
Stolen without permission from:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/brand-name
"brand name. noun. 1. a word, name, symbol, etc., especially one legally re gistered as a trademark, used by a manufacturer or merchant to identify its products distinctively from others of the same type and usually prominentl y displayed on its goods, in advertising, etc.'
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 1:06:56 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

ts products distinctively from others of the same type and usually prominen tly displayed on its goods, in advertising, etc.'
Where does it specifically say "Sawzall" was stolen by Milwaukee Tools? Mus ta missed something?