DeWalt "sawzall" recip saw

In 2001, I purchased a set of DeWalt 18v tools that included the typical drill, light, "sawzall" (dunno what DeWalt calls them) and a couple other battery tools.

Outside of the drill, the "sawzall" is probably the handiest and most used of those tools. I use it frequently to trim palm fronds, cut up windfall and have even been with a neighbor using it to cut up several old bookcases so they could be hauled away. It's one of those tools that just keeps going and going. Especially nice is the lever-action device that secures the blade in the reciprocating head. One thing I felt that might benefit from some design work was the swivel foot of the saw. It fastened to the body with two Phillips screws and required a screwdriver to remove.

My neighbor admired and borrowed my "sawzall" enough that he recently purchased one for himself. Yesterday, he came over to ask me what the 'button' was on the hand guard. I got my own saw out and sure enough, there was no button. We looked at the two saws side-by-side and I finally discovered what it was. DeWalt had installed a release button for the swivel foot. When depressed you could remove the rod that held the foot. One additional improvement was several notches in the rod, permitting adjusting the foot out, away from the saw for depth control.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

Yeah, it's amazing how much refinement can happen in ten years! ;)

RicodJour

Thanks. I've been eyeing one of those for a long time. I have the circular saw and a couple of drills [*] in that line and was wondering if that saw was useful.

[*] and radio, work light, vacuum.
Reply to
keithw86

I opted for the one that runs all day long with out recharging, it does however have a long tail.

Reply to
Leon

I have a B&D one that came in a tool set. This is a VERY useful tool. When my last Ranger got nailed I used it to cut away part of the bumper. Sure glad I had it.

phil

Reply to
PHILIPWOLF

They must have changed it fairly quickly, mine from 2005 has the adjustable foot. I agree it is an excellent tool.

Reply to
DT