right name

Grand Dad (b. 1900), said it was called a monkey wrench because you had to "monkey" with it to adjust it.

Eat red meat...
http://www.gp.lib.mi.us/information/about/t_Monkey_Wrench.htm This is what comes to mind when you say monkey wrench. I'd also call it a pipe wrench.
However.....
http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-1000227reg.jpg
Crescent wrench is a whole different animal. Monkey wrench is used for turning pipe and fittings. Crescent is used to turn four or six sided nuts or bolts.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And before the Crescent came the Wescott.
I've still got three of them in my home shop.
http://tinyurl.com/65j7pc
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I just noticed that the seller described it as a "pipe wrench"...WRONG.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

get the book (Amazon.com product link shortened)
rb wrote:

That depends on what you call "monkey wrenches". For me, it is not a Crescent wrench nor is it a pipe (Stillson) wrench.
Crescent wrench openings are shaped to fit hex or square nuts.
Pipe wrenches are "F" shaped, the jaws are serrated and - most importantly - the top jaw moves laterally when turning on something so that the head wedges. It is meant for pipe.
What I always called a monkey wrench was also "F" shaped but the jaws were not serrated and the head did not deflect when turning on an object. It was meant for nuts, not pipe. The first picture here is what I am talking about, third one to the right of it is a pipe wrench. http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=monkey+wrench&btnG=Search+Images
--

dadiOH