right name

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey wrenches".

Can't recall, right now.......

Reply to
rb

Hi, Crescent?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Stillson Wrench

Reply to
RLM

Pipe wrench.

Reply to
Napoleon Blownapart

Pipe wrench.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench.

Eric in North TX

Well , if it's a monkey wrench, then that's the proper name. BUT, if it's a pipe wrench, then it's a pipe wrench. Adjustable wrenches, such as those made by CRESCENT can also sometimes be called monkey wrenches by some.

Steve Barker DLT

Here's a site that disagrees with the wiki site about the name.

willshak

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll never forget what they look like.

That pic is ONE.

Reply to
Oren

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll never forget what they look like.

That pic is ONE.

Reply to
Oren

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll never forget what they look like.

That pic is ONE.

Reply to
Oren

It is a mispelling of Moncky. This is an old style adjustable wrench of sorts. There seems to be many stories of the origin of the monkey wrench name.

Sometimes a pipe wrench or Stillson wrench is called a Monkey wrench. This is not really correct as the pipe wrench has harden teeth and is for round pipe and the Monkey wrench is for the square nuts.

Someone mentioned Cresent wrench. This is a name brand of adjustable wrench that came later. Many call this type of wrench a Cresent instead of adjustable.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

For the time being, "Monkey Wrench" is the proper name for a type of adjustable wrench with flat jaws.

The PC crowd is fast approaching, though...

Reply to
HeyBub

Grand Dad (b. 1900), said it was called a monkey wrench because you had to "monkey" with it to adjust it.

Eat red meat...

Reply to
Oren

heh... a little OT but following the link to Stillson you find a pic of my favorite pipe wrench. Apparently it's an antique, but it still gets the job done. I'm guessing it was left in the house by the plumbers that built it and rarely used after that; the jaws still look new.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That seems to still be common usage, although I don't know any fitters that still call a pipe wrench a Stillson. Ridgid seems to be the brand name most commonly used these days.

I'm trying to think of anything else that is commonly known by brand name... only ones that come readily to mind are Channellocks for water pump pliers, and Kleins for linesman's pliers.

nate

(which reminds me, I need to buy some new Vice-Grips...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My old plumber explained that a "Stillson" wrench was a pipe wrench that had a different type of adjustment than what we see on other brands of pipe wrench. If you Google it, you can see the difference.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

is what comes to mind when you say monkey wrench. I'd also call it a pipe wrench.

However.....

Crescent wrench is a whole different animal. Monkey wrench is used for turning pipe and fittings. Crescent is used to turn four or six sided nuts or bolts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bzzzttt..... wrong!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The term "monkey wrench" is also used colloquially (and inaccurately) to refer to the pipe wrench.

So, I'm the one who is wrong!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon