right name

Smooth jawed could also refer to a 'ford' wrench.

supposedly the Model Ts came with this type of wrench and that is where the name came from.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

get the book

Limp Arbor

That depends on what you call "monkey wrenches". For me, it is not a Crescent wrench nor is it a pipe (Stillson) wrench.

Crescent wrench openings are shaped to fit hex or square nuts.

Pipe wrenches are "F" shaped, the jaws are serrated and - most importantly - the top jaw moves laterally when turning on something so that the head wedges. It is meant for pipe.

What I always called a monkey wrench was also "F" shaped but the jaws were not serrated and the head did not deflect when turning on an object. It was meant for nuts, not pipe. The first picture here is what I am talking about, third one to the right of it is a pipe wrench.

dadiOH

I was wondering where I left that.

Reply to
RLM

And before the Crescent came the Wescott.

I've still got three of them in my home shop.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I just noticed that the seller described it as a "pipe wrench"...WRONG.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia