RIDGID Lifetime warranty on power tools

Page 2 of 2
You die and your spouse tries to collect on your life insurance and she finds out that is not worth the paper it was printed on
DUH
Just because you bought a Black and Decker...I mean DeWalt drill that has only 1 year warranty, and now drills are offered with lifetime warranties..
I'd like to see your face when you saw the lifetime warranties on the power tools THAT YOU BOUGHT INSTEAD !
heheh

themselves..Bosch
Well, I resisted reply until I went to buy a jigsaw, and I checked out Ridgid brand at Home Depot. My first impression was that the quality was only fair to OK, on par with Ryobi/Skill. Overall the construction quality did not seem up to snuff with Milwaukee or Bosch. I noticed on the drills, the Ridgid chuck was plated while others appeared cast, you could see the plating starting to chip on the edges of the Ridgid, I see this frequently in Chinese made stuff, they tend to cut corners here too much. Bosch is well regarded as having either the best or one of the top two jigsaws and was $10 less then the Rigid. Guess which one I bought? I'll give you a hint; I have'nt a clue what the warrantee is on it....
I spoke to a friend who is a contractor, and he said Ridgid makes good plumbing tools, he did'nt even know they made power tools. Do a few searches on google/groups and the web and see what you find, particularly in rec.woodworking. I won't bother to rehash all that was said about them, but be aware, seeing as this brand has been bouncing around in manufacturers, what was true a few years ago may not be true today. A smile cracked on my face when I thought back to the Ryobi like quality and stumbled on this: http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2003/06/30/daily43.html
The comment about Hundai was right on, the warrantee is a marketing thing, and it will get some people to try one, but to sustain a loyal customer base, they better not be honoring the warrantee too often. It is also much easier to grow when you are small, so don't kid yourself by thinking Hundai will surpass GM in gross sales anytime soon.
Finally to Kieth, try to grow up a little. You may think the most important aspect of a purchase is the warrantee, I do not. I am not willing to pay more for a long warrantee, if a product does not meet my expectations, I will not be a happy customer, even if it replaced under warrantee.

Actually its called marketing. Nothing more than that
And it works
Look at Hyundai, they are fastest growing car company in the world attempting to get into the highly competitive car manufacturing field. Competing with GM/Ford/Chrysler/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/Mitsubishi etc.... And its working
Sue

themselves..Bosch

pre-paid

I think all lifetime warranties could mean lifetime of the company. I had a computer built at a local computer store some years ago with a three year warranty. They went out of business 1 week after selling it to me!!
So it is hard to say if Rigid will exist 5, 10 ... years from now.
Secondly, they can "fix" stuff with parts of their choosing. As others have pointed out about Sears now replacing ratchets with refurbs etc. Maybe rigid will give you refurb batteries etc etc.
I would buy a tool on its merits today, rather than on the hopes of receiving some service I may or may not receive in the future.
Roland
StacyW wrote: <snip>

What does a "life of the product" warranty mean? If the product "dies", is the warranty over?
R, Tom Q.