RIDGID Power Tools

RIDGID power tools are made by Techtronic Industries out of Hong Kong. TTI, as they are known, recently acuired MILWAUKEE brand power tools. They also own RYOBI, HOMELITE, and DIRT DEVIL.

RIDGID is to RYOBI what DeWalt is to Black & Decker.

I happen to be in the market for a 12" Compound Miter Saw. I own many DeWalt tools and they have treated me well for the most part.

When I go to Chicago (135 miles from home) I always eat at the same 2 restaurants (Mia Francesca and Greek Islands for you Chicagoans). I do so because I know I can count on a great meal every time. But, I always wonder what I'm missing out on.

The question is:

Should I buy the trusted DeWalt, or in the name of trying something new, go with the RIDGID?

Reply to
aabruno

snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.gov Apr 29, 9:13 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking From: " snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.gov" Date: 29 Apr

RIDGID power tools are made by Techtronic Industries out of Hong Kong. TTI, as they are known, recently acuired (sic)MILWAUKEE brand power tools. They also own RYOBI, HOMELITE, and DIRT DEVIL.

RIDGID is to RYOBI what DeWalt is to Black & Decker.

-snip

What you don't know you're missing, you won't miss. But you don't really seem to be a neophobe, either. I'd go for it! No,wait! Get the DeWalt! Tom

Reply to
tom

If the Ridgid is a hundred buck less, I'd consider it. For the same price, no contest, go with DeWalt.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Go with the tool you like best - check out the features, the ergonomics, and the apparent build quality.

I've got several tools in each of these brands, and have been satisfied with all of 'em.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.gov wrote: [snip]

DeWalt. The Ridgid I used a few months ago had the problem of tilting off perpendicular to the table as you move the saw off 90d for a miter cut. I haven't used the DeWalt so you might want to visit a dealer with try square in hand. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn
[snipperized for brevitization]

I own a few Ridgid pieces. The 2610 ROS sander is a dream. (It's a Metabo made in Germany) The 2400 portable table saw is perfect for the job. Soft start, plenty of balls, the fence is more than adequate and there is room to drop in an insert for a router table. And I just love their new laminate trimmer.... I mean... Soft start EVS, permanent magnet motor, will take Porter Cable style guide bushings, comes with some pretty serious guides, cheap, sweet and functional. I'm picking up another one to toss in my toolbox with a 1/8" roundover bit and another one to put on small skates with a 3/4" straight bit to clean up glue-lines after I join two pieces of Solid Surfacing.

Not much else by Ridgid appeals to me.

Nothing by DeWalt appeals to me. Nothing. Okay.. that 735 planer has some appeal.. too much money here in Kanuckistan though...getting too close to a proper 15" Delta planer in price.

Reply to
Robatoy

I got the DeWalt 706 dual bevel compound miter - It's GREAT!! Plus, when I bought it, the price was right - Lowe's 20% off sale plus I got an employee discount through a family member. Great saw -

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Oh of course you'd go with the De Walt being an employee of Lowes. Now for a more balance veiw, that of a Home Depot employee. :-D

We just opened a new store here in NH and well when we were fitting shelving we could mark down any tool we needed for store use. We used a Dewalt. Like all lines some of Ridgid is better than others.

D. Mo

Reply to
D. Mo

Whenever my wife goes to HD she always asks about their Ridgid tools. HD hires a lot of guys with a speech impediment =-- cause they all seem to stutter.

Reply to
WillR

A computer tech I use is from Barbados. He likes asking innocent girls at the drug store for skin-coloured band-aids. They also stammer and stutter quite a bit...

Reply to
Robatoy