Dewalt

Good or bad, comments please!

I am thinking of getting some dewalt cordless goodies, because I'm sick of having 4 different chargers cluttering up the van, and the Dw 18v range pretty much covers all the cordless tools I should need. Should also have the advantage that I will be cycling my batteries better, takes me about 2 months to flatten the battery on the drill, and having a NiCad stood that long with charge in does it no good whatsoever, but I can flatten the battery in my impact wrench in a day or less. using the same batteries for all tools will mean my drill batteries get flattened properly, so should extend their life.

Reply to
SimonJ

My experience has so far been very positive. Last year I burnt out my DeWalt SDS drill (entirely my fault), and was able to source a replacement armature very quickly and cheaply (~£25 IIRC).

Reply to
Grunff

I have no personal experience of DeWalt other than a 25 year old radial arm saw - but things was built different way back then.

I do call on lots of tool hire shops in my day job and whilst most sell DeWalt very few have them in the hire fleet - which speaks volumes to me.

Makita, Bosch & Hitachi seem to be used in the hire fleets.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It's one of the biggest cons that flattening a Ni-Cad will extend its life. It may - or may not - be worth making sure it's reasonably discharged before re-charging it, but you certainly don't want to discharge a nearly full battery purely to re-charge it. So if you have some tools that get so little use the batteries last 2 months without re-charging, that battery will last for a much longer time than one which needs charging every day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Apparently it's based on the misunderstanding about learned charges in satellites where they are recharged like clockwork whether they need it or not. It depended on their orbital cycle how often they got charged so the battery only charged to that level.

Or something like that (I believe I read it on a newsgroup so what the truth is is anyone's guess.)

That aside, it looks like the OP is just trying to find an excuse to waste money. I wouldn't mind a DeWalt screwdriver though. It knocks spots off an ordinary drill if you are doing plaster-boarding. And if you are using that tin crap for studding it is a must have.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Pretty good in my limited experience. I've been using the 14.4 drill/driver for a year or 2 now (though the batteries are noticeably losing capacity now) and have an 18V jigsaw (mostly good but PITA blade change mechanism) and angle driver (fiddly forward/reverse switch) and have just ordered an

18V circular saw. There are a couple of folks on eBay selling mostly 18V dW stuff at prices that knock spots off even Toolstation & co.
Reply to
john.stumbles

I got a dwalt 18v hammer drill, and I love it. Its from the US, so aparently the UK fixing centeres won't touch it.

I also have other dewalt tools, I broke my belt sander, the UK fixing center was great, once they see the receipt, they just fix it, no enquiry about how much abuse I was dealing out when it broke - OK I was sading my oak purlins in the rain ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Does DW stuff have a lifetime guarantee then?

Reply to
SimonJ

No, Dewalt has 1 year guarantee. But Bosch has 3 years on blue products and

2 years on green.
Reply to
Kaiser

New dewalt, buy the black and decker versions!

Reply to
Badger

Average quality (B&D underneath), big price. Best go for Wickes (Kress), Makita, Hitachi and Ryobi (which is excellent value).

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is there any other make that produces a full range of tools that use the same battery pack?

Reply to
SimonJ

I have a DeWalt Router which has been fine but then it doesn't get abuse like a drill would. I'd go for the premium Ryobi stuff. Had one of their cordless combi drills for some time now and it has been wonderful with daily usage. Plus you get a 2 year warranty.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Ryobi.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ryobi has never struck me as being that good quality, would it stand up to constant hard use?

Reply to
SimonJ

Yep. I know many tradesmen who have gone over to them. They are pro tools from a large Japanese company.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We've had this discussion before.

Ryobi of Japan no longer makes hand power tools and sold the power tool brand to a Hong Kong company, Techtronic Industries, who apply the Ryobi label to a generic product that they also produce for a number of outlets on an OEM basis.

products are neither "pro" nor are they in any way Japanese.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But you also claim to know 'tradesmen' who use PPPro.

Are you claiming all their products are made in Japan?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They aren't.

The manufacturer (Chinese, not Japanese), TTI Group, positions Ryobi as its "home improvement" brand, mentioning "value conscious contractors" (euphemism) as a possible user.

Their professional brand is Milwaukee.

've used a number of their products in the U.S. and the build quality of these is quite respectable.

Personally, for a rechargeables range, I still prefer Makita.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are.

I am surprised.