Dewalt

I do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yep. And I know many tradesmen that have gone over to them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If that were the case, the manufacturer would position this brand as heavy duty professional, which is what he does for his Milwaukee brand. The Ryobi product is positioned as a budget product range for occasional DIY use and is sold through channels addressing that market.

No need to be.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They must be feeling the pinch.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, I don't care what they position it as, it's a very good and excellent value for money range of power tools.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, no. Fed up of paying silly money for over-hyped brand names.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You'd better discuss that with Matt. I have no idea what his views are.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can ask Matt for his view

Mine is that this is a mid market product line at best, about the same as PPPoo - a curate's egg - some reasonable, some bad.

Ryobi is moderate value for money at its price point. It is not a professional range by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, I did.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, I am.

Mat, you have liberally given them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ryobi stuff varies. They watered down the brand with stuff they sold through various DIY stores but they also do some decent kit. They do decent drills with Rohm chucks and a lot of torque and cheapo versions. You need to check the full specification. You can't right off the whole brand as DIY use only. You're not going to find a DIY user buying a =A3350 Ryobi Concrete Hammer Drill, surely?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I'm not writing off anything for anything. Take a look at the TTI web site and look at how they position Ryobi as a brand. It is not as a professional's product.

The reality is that they have purchased the label from Ryobi Japan a few years ago and have then added the North America, EMEA and Asia-Pac market to it. The result is a hotchpotch of products with crap at one end ad one or two lighthouse products, possibly of professional quality that don't fit in the marque.

Take a look at the web site. Milwaukee is the HD and professional brand. Ryobi is the volume product targetted at the DIY outlets.

The rechargeables are definitely in the volume DIY stable, which is the discussion point here. Any nominally higher end products such as the hammer drill will either be migrated to Milwaukee or dropped to avoid confusion.

The point, from the perspective of a volume Chinese manufacturer, is that the a given brand name should relate to a price point and market position. They don't want a range of qualities in a brand name.

This is why Bosch has green and blue, Makita has two brands, DW has DeWalt and B&D etc.

Coming back to the original point, Makita has a consistent range of rehargeables, as does Bosch blue, Hitachi, Metabo and DW. There are very few others where the manufacturer has a commitment to the product line including consistent batteries, spares etc. for any length of time. The cheap-junk manufacturers attempt to obfuscate this by offering long warranties. This is a scam, of course.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Unlike John I do work with tradesmen. And had an interesting discussion with a chippy just the other day who'd gone down the route of using cheap cordless drills after having decent ones stolen. And concluded that the poor battery life made them a poor choice for pro use...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

All these rants about various makes... I have a full collection o Dewalt 18v tools. What other brand does the 18v collection that you ca use the same batteries in a multitude of items including: radio charger wet/dry vacuums, jigsaws, rep saws, circ saws, rip saw, sds drills hammer drills, impact drivers, torches, biscuit jointers, metal cuttin shears, drywall screw guns, angled and straight nailers, rotozip-lik cut-out tools etc. They are gonna be bringing out 18v sanders an planers in the near future. Yes they are pricey, but ebay solves tha problem. As for quality I find them perfic! Had them for years an still going strong. New extra run time batteries are great and charge within 15 minutes! Have got around 10 odd 2.4ah batteries so I can jus grab a tool and go

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

You have to be aware that Drivel is purely a catalogue browser with no experience of DIY or pro work. Best to ignore his 'advice' apart from having a laugh at it.

I work in TV location drama production and there is often a chippy on site, and I'd say DeWalt is probably the most popular make with them for cordless tools. Never once seen one with a 'shed' type. Props - who may well need a power drill once in a while - will have them though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have to be aware that Corless, unlike you, is giving good advise, but he is set upon an average range of tools which command too high a price.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is that 'set upon' as in mounted?

But then you constantly recommend wildly expensive central heating 'solutions' so I'd say you are the last one to give advice on value for money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The senility is setting in all right.

Reply to