Paint Cans vs Clear Buckets

Does anyone know if there's any specific reason that paint cans are opaque? I prefer to put paint into 4 1-quart clear buckets from Ace hardware rather than leave it in the can. But I've noticed that companies that sell in plastic jugs (i.e. Dutch Boy) still have opaque ones, though that may be intended so that people don't assume that the wet paint color will be the same once it's dried. Right now I've put some Varathane in clear buckets, but am wondering if I should put it in quart cans instead - i.e. does light damage the product?

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Main reason for not using clear is that the biggest problem that causes ANY coating to break down and deteriate is UV rays. AKA sun-light.

Reply to
richdedo

Colors can fade over time for one. UV rays will eventually have an ill effect on the contents. Not much of a problem if stored indoors in a cabinet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They're not. If you buy "decorator" shades of water based emulsions here in the UK (latex to you guys ?), then many of the more retail-oriented brands are now in clear plastic buckets.

For gloss paints, the resins used are more UV sensitive and so I've not seen these in clear packaging. Pigment is pretty stable against fading, compared to the resins yellowing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In the US I have yet to see latex paint in clear buckets. Dutch Boy is the only one I've seen that comes in plastic containers to begin with (with a nice pour spout), rather than cans which quickly turn into a gooey mess.

Looks like for a gloss clear varnish, I should start transferring it into hydrogen peroxide bottles.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises