Varnish of my dreams--found!

After much arduous searching, I've found it, my Xanadu, my Shangri-la, the sine qua non of varnish. And all the time it was available right at my little local Ace Hardware store.

Some background: My preference for finishing and refinishing wood, when appropriate, is regular old oil-based varnish. Hate polyurethane; don't have spray equipment for lacquer (which I used when I worked on guitars). I've been nursing a quart can of McCloskey varnish for about

10 years now, and it's getting depleted. So I started looking around for something to replace it with.

I knew what I wanted. McCloskey no longer exists as a brand; they were bought by Cabot (part of the Valpar "family"), and I found what looked like the equivalent product, their gloss varnish:

What I wanted was the "old school" product, their #8000. Unfortunately, after much calling around, I discovered that I cannot buy that product here in California; all I can get is the "modified" version, their #18000. And even finding this was a gigantic pain in the ass.

I called every single local paint store here in the East Bay. The best I could get was an offer to order the stuff, and even that turned out to be impractical (their distributor couldn't get it, or I'd have to order

10 cans of it, etc., etc.)

Finally found a store in San Francisco that had the stuff, and even then I had to convince the store staff that they *did* have it, and then they expressed surprise, and had only one can. So I bought it, something like $20.

The stuff turned out to be pure shit.

I used it the other day on a desktop I'm making for a client, stained birch plywood. I put on the first coat in the morning. It looked OK, so I went out to work and left it to dry. When I came back and checked it about 8 hours later, the stuff was still tacky, and it had glopped and coagulated and orange-peeled like crazy.

A little while ago while exploring what has to be the greatest Ace Hardware store of them all around here (Pagano's in Alameda), I found a little 1/2 pint can of some varnish under Ace's brand, simply called "solvent-based varnish". They had nothing larger, so I bought it. Used it on my latest refinishing project (a 100-year-old wooden view camera, my Rochester Optical Co. "Universal"). It worked beautifully. But since I had so little of it, I was guarding it jealously. There certainly wasn't enough for my 26x64" desktop.

So I took the little can over to my little local Ace, Ellis Ace here in Oakland, and asked them if they could order me a quart can. Well, they actually had several of them in stock! (The quart was only $9, less than half what I paid for that Cabot crap.) So I took one, and used it yesterday on my desktop. (It's item # 276A111, Ace 16385.)

Beautiful results. Just beautiful.

This stuff does exactly what one wants it to do. It brushes on smoothly, builds up quickly, stays open and liquid long enough to move it around and correct any drips, thick or thin spots (you can easily pick out hairs or other foreign objects with your bare fingers, then brush over the spot). And best of all, after applying, it lays down as flat as an Illinois cornfield. Blessedly, shimmeringly flat. It's an absolute joy to work with. The exact opposite of something like "brushing lacquer" (now there's a contradiction in terms if I ever heard one!), which drives me nuts trying to work to get it flat without brushstrokes in the alotted 50-millisecond time period. Or polyurethane, with its inauthentic, plasticky-looking surface.

For those who are searching for a good wood finishing solution where a high-gloss surface is appropriate, I highly recommend this stuff.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Thanks a bunch for sharing a positive result. There.s a good Ace Hardware in our area , so I plan to checkout their stock put away some for future projects.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for varnish info, I like varnish too. ____________

Don't work it...flow on a generous amount L I G H T L Y and S L O W L Y, drag out edges a bit to feather them. By "lightly" I mean the weight of the brush and not much more. By "slowly" I mean around 4-6 seconds per foot. A good bristle brush, BTW.

Brush on another brush load a bit away from the previous then L I G H T L Y and S L O W L Y blend with previous edge(s) and feather edges. Then leave it alone. It will flow together fairly well but will still look awful until it is totally dry. Once dry, it will look fine as the amount left after drying is a small fraction of the wet volume. IME and I've used gallons and gallons of the stuff.

If you're getting brush strokes you are either not putting on enough or you are pushing too hard with the brush or you are brushing too fast. Or any combination.

Reply to
dadiOH

dadiOH wrote: ...

The other "or" I'd add is the brush isn't up to the task...

Reply to
dpb

You nursed a lousy quart of varnish 10 years! Thats a laugh and a half, I bet it was full of crap 7 years ago, A normal year for me was

20-40 gallons. I guess in 50 years or so you might just go through enough quarts to find the real good stuff, and its not at Ace.
Reply to
ransley

[...]

Better stock up. The Ace website has no knowledge of

  • 276A111
  • 16385
  • ACE 16385
  • "Varnish" (other than varnish removers)
  • "Solvent-based varnish"

So I called Ace. They couldn't find it on their web site either.

Probably the situation is: a) Ace can't ship hazardous materials, so they don't list it on their web site, or b) It's a discontinued item.

Reply to
HeyBub

See:

Nova

That's a 1/2 pint container.

The gallon is 16391, the quart is 16389.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

$32.50 for a half pint?

Reply to
willshak

A case of 6 - 1/2 pints.

Reply to
Nova

I guess I skipped over that part.

Reply to
willshak

Four qts for $38.87 at

2 gals for $47.54 at

Scott Lurndal

Even better, A 55 gallon drum for $98.95 Nah. Just kidding. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Or if it is a franchise store, that particular store orders it from a different source.

Reply to
Leon

Gosh Dave, finishes do go bad. If you have been using a 10 year old quart of finish you may have been missing out on more modern finishes. The product that the store had "1" of may have been way past it's shelf life.

Anyway, I use a bit more than 1 quart every 10 years. ;~) , but have been having good luck with General Finishes for the last 30 years and more recently Lawrence McFadden products. IIRC Lawrence McFadden products are only available on line however they are a family owned company that has been around longer than me.

Reply to
Leon

Ha! Thanks. But it looks like the 'droid who spoke to me would know the difference...

I was looking on this site:

Notice the different URLs: "acehardwaresuperstore" vs. "acehardware"

Reply to
HeyBub

On 7/23/2009 2:14 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Nah, it's their useless web site. Even the people who work at Aces will tell you that their website sucks. No point even looking there for anything.

I asked when I bought the quart and was told that it was a currently-available item (even though the can had quite a bit of dust on the lid, which is why I asked).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 7/23/2009 5:06 PM Leon spake thus:

Well, that's the point--actually 2 of them:

  1. Another great thing about good old-fashioned oil-based (or "solvent-based" if you prefer) varnish is that it has, as far as I can tell, a near-infinite shelf life, provided it's carefully sealed between uses. I've used varnish that was actually older than that and it was still fine.
  2. My point is that I prefer this old-school stuff to more modren finishes. Certainly to that crap I got from Cabot, which is apparently the latest technology.

Do they make a traditional oil-based varnish? Any links?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Leon

In news:4a690b4b$0$6333$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com, David Nebenzahl spewed forth: