Reusing computer A/C cords?

Page 3 of 4
On 9/3/2015 10:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yes. I think the cords are rated at 16A.
I plug it in place of the electric clothes dryer when I need to use it. Moving it is a bit of a chore (200+ pounds) so I try to make sure I *really* need it before doing so! :-/
[And, SWMBO complains vociferously of all the *noise* it makes -- along with the heat it throws off!]
<stuff snipped>

What application requires intermittent use of such a monster?
--
Bobby G.

On 9/3/2015 11:25 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Check your mail (assuming those '00' should have been 'oo')

I thought you were running a minicomputer but a blade server is close enough. I used to run a BBS with 16 nodes using the precursor to blades, an Alloy server setup and an ATT 6300 as the main PC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy_Computer_Products
<<In 1984 Alloy developed the PC-Slave card which consisted of an X86 (8086 or V20) processor, either 256k or 1 Meg of memory and two serial ports. This card used RTNX (later renamed NTNX) to use the host processor to act as a file server. Dumb PC-Term terminals were attached to the PC-Slave to allow the running of DOS programs. At the time it was much cheaper to use this solution rather than network multiple computers>>
Each slave card was connected to a USR modem - they were very nice to my PC group, donating first eight 2400 BPS modems and then when we expanded they gave us sixteen 9600 BPS units at a time when those suckers sold for $500. It was good PR because people who wanted to connect at what was then the fastest modem in the world also bought them.
<http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/tips0995.html

The Alloy unit wasn't nearly as powerful or capable but for its time, it was pretty hot stuff. Really. We had to cut louvered vents into the door to the tiny room holding the BBS gear and even that wasn't enough. We had to have a ceiling fan installed.
--
Bobby G.

On 9/3/2015 11:23 PM, Robert Green wrote:

This is similar, conceptually, to what my needs are. The difference being my "nodes" are more loosely coupled; instead of an ISA bus that allows you to "talk" to each of the cards, each card talks to the others over the network.

It's still cheaper. With multiple computers, you bring along more disks, keyboards, monitors, etc. (even if you run headless). And, they take up more space!

Yeah, I used a USR many years ago. Along with Telebit "PEP" modems to talk to UN*X boxen.

Perhaps more important than the advances in cost and compute power that have taken place over the years is the advances in power reduction! E.g., my current design uses 500MHz processors that *could* run on *batteries*!

load...

juice.

blades, an

(8086 > > or V20) processor, either 256k or 1 Meg of memory and two serial ports. This

If I recall correctly, ArcNet was the only game in town at the time (1985).

allow

CPUs are so powerful now that all you need is a multiport serial card to drive 16 modems - not that anyone runs BBS's anymore. Even back then the archtypical personalities of the Internet were emerging. The guys who truly want to learn from each other, the guys who want to prove they're superior to the rest of the world and the guys that just want to mess things up for everyone else.

PC

they

$500.

:>

was

I switched all the desktops in my house to laptops with low power CPUs. Amazing how much it lowered my monthly electric bill.
--
Bobby G.

On 9/4/2015 11:08 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Yes, I keep threatening to do so. But, have way too many peripherals that would be virtually impossible to support with a laptop; esp a *modern* laptop! Also, it's a *huge* undertaking to reinstall all the software currently on the workstations onto a set of laptops!
OTOH, on my ToDo list for today is to power down a workstation that's been "doing nothing" (because I've not had a chance to get back to what I was working on, at the time) and move the tools that I was using (DTP) onto one of the larger laptops so I can do my "editing" without having to burn all that power.

the

The OP cleared it up for us. It stands for "alernating" current. (-:
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green posted for all of us...

Is that illegal? Just askin...
--
Tekkie

On 09/02/2015 07:47 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Even if he did not mean the cords for use with an air conditioner
it would still not be advisable to use spliced cords...

Alernating current. Sorry for the ambiguity.
On 9/2/15 2:25 PM, KenK wrote:

Not sure if cheaper, but easier way is use an adapters to convert the IEC plug to a std 3 prong female socket (NEMA5-15R)
see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423029&ignorebbr=1
or
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
<stuff snipped>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423029&ignorebbr=1
+1 Good find. The Newegg unit is cheaper than any other places I've found. They're only $2 for 10 and offer $2 shipping (I think). At those prices, using the adapters makes sense for at least low wattage applications. Now that I've retired all my desktop PC's and peripherals, I've got quite a few D cords so I think I'll order some from Newegg. Thanks!
--
Bobby G.

Easier? Discard them and buy purpose made extension cords.
If you really don't want to wire a NEMA 5-15 connector to the wire, you can remove the female IEC 320 connector and use the remaining wire as a replacement cordset for power tools, appliances and lighting fixtures.
Note that computer power cords use AWG18 conductors with an ampacity of 7 (about 800 watts at 120VAC).
On 9/2/2015 11:25 AM, KenK wrote:

It's typically not worth the effort. You end up with a cheap, light-gauge (low ampacity), short cord.
I have some longer (12-15 ft) 14AWG "modular power cords" that are plugged in, permanently, in my office. They are handy when I need to connect some piece of kit with a modular power inlet.
When faced with something with a genuine *plug* on the end (e.g., a wall wart for something), I slip an adapter onto the cord that terminates in a regular nema socket. In this way, getting the benefit of a "universal" extension cord.
On 9/2/2015 2:25 PM, KenK wrote:

I've seen some folks put a junction box and socket on. Then you get two sockets.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I put a rocker switch on some to use with table lamps. The switches on the bulb sockets are harder to reach as the lamps get older.
For long you live and high you fly
On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 6:10:55 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:

...not sure how that happens...sure it's not you getting older? ༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ⌐■-? ?
bob_villa formulated the question :

Absolutely! It couldn't *possibly* be that. :)
For long you live and high you fly

Yes - buy an extention cord. Generally cheaper than a "good" cord end.