I am looking for a source of power strips or surge suppressors
with 15 to 20 foot cords and eight or more outlets.
We have several offices with lots of low power devices
(laptop, printer, stapler, computer speakers, etc.),
and we need to get compliance with the fire marshal.
I can find 8 and 9 outlet strips locally, and I can
find strips with 15 foot cords locally, but not in combination.
I have never seen a power strip with a long cord. Just get an
"applicance" extension cord and plug the power strips into that. An
"appliance" extension cord is a short extension cord that uses heavy
gauge wire (#12). I imagine that the fire marshall would be OK with
that, but it never hurts to ask fisrt.
Code calls for wall receptacles within every six feet of
wall just for this reason. Installation of power strips with
long power cords are a more significant source of deadly
fires. If receptacles are more than 10 feet away, then that
room requires more wall receptacles installed. This is doubly
true of offices with many electrical office machines. There
is absolutely no reason to be running long power cords to
power numerous office machines. None. If the office has that
many machines, then more wall receptacles are required. Not
just for code compliance. This should be obviously necessary
for human safety.
BTW any minimally acceptable power strip must have a 15 amp
breaker included. Many sold without that breaker are further
reasons for fires that, in one local case, killed a whole
kennel of dogs. The most important feature in any power strip
is a 15 amp circuit breaker.
Power strips with surge protectors? Then you want to throw
money away (spend tens of times more money for ineffective
protectors) and maybe even make office machine damage easier.
Use power strips and do not use power strip surge protectors.
Office electronic protection that actually works is located
elsewhere and costs less.
Rick Matthews wrote:
I've got several Belkin power strips, with 15' cords, and 10 outlets..
I got them at home depot.. they are surge supressors (for what a surge
supressor in a power strip is worth..)
I like them because I can fit 6 wall warts on them, and still use the
other 4 outlets for regular cords.. if the wall warts are small enough,
you can fit 10..
model # F9D1000-15
unfortunately, a search of Belkin's website fails to locate them, and
their search function appears to be braindead.
A similar model without the surge supressors is available from
here's a 12 outlet rack mount version (but not as flexible for wall warts..)
Tripp-Lite also has the ISOBAR12, similar to the RS-1215-HG, with better
surge supression/power filtering..
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@.stanford.edu | email@example.com
The office layout lends itself to an L-shaped desk with the
gadgets on the section away from the wall. Eight foot
cords will probably do it for this situation, but a little
longer makes it easier to route beneath the desk.
We could put outlets in the floor here, but it would mean
cutting into the slab.
We have a lot of other locations in labs where the distance
needs are more than eight feet.
We have an L-shaped desk with laptop and peripherals at the remote
end from the wall. More wall outlets would be of no help at
all. We could cut the slab and put in an 8 or 10 outlet cluster
in the floor, but that seems like overkill to me.
Floor outlets carry their own safety risks, too.
The power strip and cord will be secured, not subject
to abrasion or flexing. Total ampacity of the equipment
is less than half the rated capacity of a 15A strip, and of
course I would only get a breaker-protected strip.
Perhaps not the ultimate in safety, but if we were
striving for the ultimate we would swap out all our breakers
for arc-faults and add GFCI protection as well.
Surge protection is not a priority for this application, but
please elaborate. What provides better surge protection at lower
To be effective at the appliance, a power strip must somehow
stop, block, or absorb the transient. It will stop what miles
of sky could not? Of course not. So they just forget to
mention what it does and what it does not do. They say only
enough for others to wildly speculate.
Protection has always been about earthing before a transient
gets near to transistors. Same as Franklin did to keep
transients from finding earth ground via church steeples.
Protection that is even standard at your telco's switching
computer. Every wire that enters a building must be earthed.
Either by a short and direct hardwire connection (cable TV) or
via a 'whole house' protector (telephone, AC electric).
Protection so effective and so inexpensive that your telco
already installs a 'whole house' protector where their line
enters your building. Yes, the phone lines already have
effective protection. Just another little fact that those
plug-in protector manufacturers forget to mention.
The most common source of destructive transients is AC
electric. And yet that is the one utility that has no
effective protection; unless you install it. Effective 'whole
house' protector for residential AC electric is sold in Home
Depot (Intermatic IG1240RC) or in Lowes (Cutler Hammer or
GE). Other manufacturers include Siemens, GE, Leviton, Square
D, Polyphaser, Furse, etc.
But the bottom line is this. A protector is only as
effective as its earth ground. Ineffective protectors avoid
discussing earthing. They may even try to confuse the issue
by mentioning ground. But earthing, as Franklin demonstrated
in 1752, is the protection. No dedicated earthing alone will
identify ineffective protectors. The concepts were detailed
in at least three posts in "Is it safe to use computer during
lightning/thunder storm?" in the newsgroup
sci.electronics.basics on 22 Sept 2004 at
Plug-in protectors cost maybe $15 or $50 per protected
appliance. Then it forgets to mention the type of transients
it does not protect from. Effective 'whole house' protector
costs about $1 per protected appliance - and provide
protection from all types of transients. Technical reasons
provided in previous posts (with citations).
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.