how to make money on power cords (2023 Update)

got a hundred foot power cord and it was cheaper than buying the same cord in bulk

but it was also two feet short and i bet most people do not measure the cords they buy

but if you are making and selling cords two feet adds up to more profit

Reply to
Electric Comet

Are you sure that you didn't buy a 30 meter cord, by mistake ?

30 meter = 98.425 196 85 feet

Do you lay awake at night dreaming up these things ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

yes we are not on the metric system here

those are mutually exclusive

Reply to
Electric Comet

Your cord was made overseas to international measurements. It was a 30 meter cord, so it was about 18 inches short (94.425 ft)

ONLY the USA still sells "100 ft" cords.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You are not, but the rest of the world, including where the cord was made (almost certainly China or one of the lesser Pac Rim countries) is.

When it comes to the "world market" the usa is only a flea on a pimple on the ass of the world market.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On 2/5/2018 3:03 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

... But if it were packaged and labeled in US as 100-ft (and there are any number that are), if it isn't actually 100-ft it's a class-action lawsuit for an enterprising lawyer...

We don't know where EC obtained said cord; off eBay/Amazon or the like with suppliers from everywhere direct and many, if not most, just drop-shippers instead of actual trackable businesses, it is quite possible it was/is 30 m and the come-on had 100-ft in the title.

I didn't go look just now specifically, but I've seen any number of similar things where the one measurement is given with the other in parenthesis...which can be either the metric or English first and often the same vendor will have both versions so search engine finds it either way with the one the search was done for first...

Reply to
dpb

I can't believe I'm about to defend EC

30 meters minus 18 inches is 94.425 feet? I think you need to check your math.

Which is apparently where he bought it.

Are you saying that a cord labeled as 100 ft in a US store is actually only 30 meters because of where it was made? So a cord can't be manufactured at 30.48 meters for sale as a 100 ft cord in a non-metric market? Hint: Yes, they can.

DerbyDad03

Clare Snyder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The US is the one of the few countries that hasn't forced a change to metric, and unfortunately I think we're going to have to. I, for one, hate the "Is it metric or SAE?" game, the identical sets of tools, the almost-but-not-really-the-same screw threads and so on.

In the mean time, I would be in favor of labeling standards/laws that indicate the converted/approximated/rounded measurement. In the comet's cord example, you'd see the cord labeled as 30m / ~100 ft.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Don't get him started how much the saw mill is making for shorting 2x4's

1/4" on each side.

OR the difference of the donut hole diameter and the hole diameter.

Reply to
Leon

The cords measure shorter in the winter. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And Canada is a wart on that fleas ass.

Reply to
Leon

I did a check on the link. The 100 ft cord is labeled 30.48 meters. When I used a on-line calculator it came out to 100 feet.

If I were EC, I'd contact the seller of his "100 ft" cord. Explain that labeling something that it isn't is against the law. I'd suspect that the seller will refund the money and if he were helpful, he would tell us where he bought the short cable.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

I apologize, I didn't read your posting clearly. Your right - stores do label as 100 feet as 30.48 (HD) or 30.5 (Loses). In either case, your getting 100 feet. Though with 30,5 meters it's slightly more.

Again, I am sorry I didn't read closely.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

As it is labelled in Canada.

Usually 30 meters, nominal 100 ft.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Except we are metric, so we don't get swatted.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's not all that measures shorter when it's cold, eh Leon?

Reply to
krw

Do you have a link that shows that? I provided a US based link that shows both 100 ft and

30.48 m, which are equivalent.

Do you have one that shows an accurate metric measure and a nominal US measure such as you described?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nope. I see the proper measurements shown on the Home Depot, Lowes, Home Hardware, CTC web sites. 30 m 98.4 ft.

100 ft 30.5 m.

hubops

Electric Comet on Mon, 5 Feb 2018

09:11:50 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

How can you make a profit if you're selling power cords cheaper than bulk cord, and including two endings?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I don't have the label any more, but I bought several cords a few years ago that had 15 meter and 30 meter with "nominal 50ft" and "Nominal100 ft" in brackets on the label. (or possibly "replaces 100 ft")

I believe they were from Princess Auto but may have been from TSC.

Reply to
Clare Snyder