Replacing Sash Window Cords

Hi,

I live in a flat built around 1900. This property has sash windows, and some of the cords have started breaking, so I would like to renew all 5 sash windows with new cords. I've never worked on such a thing, and I must admit that I'm not very confident to tackle this. I'm considering getting a professional in to do it. Does anybody know how much it might cost to replace the cords on 5 windows? How long do the cords usually last?

Thanks for any advice.

William Gould.

Reply to
William Gould

Sash windows are easy to do but it depends on how painted in the access is. If you put the bottom window up you should see the access panels in the sides of the windows frame.

The operation involves removing the beading at the sides of the windows so the sashes are free to be removed. Prying out the access panels gives access to the weights. Replace the cord with waxed rope

I would think it an expensive operation to have done as it is time consuming, although simple.

Reply to
EricP

Norm did this on one of the Build a house type programs on Disc H&L I think Tommy Walsh has done it too Perhaps theres a video around with one of them ?

Reply to
Vass