Are cords evil?

The word "cordless" seems to be so overused these days, it makes me wonder if cords are evil.......

Yea, my cordless drill/driver can be handy at times, but my corded drill works just as well, has more power, and never runs out of battery power. As long as there is electricity, I always grab the corded one.

Then came the cordless phone. Before I got my cellphone, I thought it was handy, so I could walk away from the landline phone and do stuff while I talked. (Not that I care to spend a lot of time on the phone anyhow). But those phones could be a pain in the ass to use too. Poor signals, dying batteries, etc......

Now we have cordless keyboards and computer mice. Why???? I never found the corded types to be any problem.

And all the rock stars seem to have cordless guitars and microphones now, which I guess makes it easier for them to jump around on stage, and even run into the crowd on occasion, but they do trade sound quality at times and of course there are the battery issues once again.....

But getting back to tools. I saw a huy using a cordless circular saw. I think he cut three 2x4's before the battery needed to be recharged, and the saw was slow, lacked power, and looked clumbsy too. NO THANKS. I'll stick with my corded saw, and if there's no electricity, a generator comes in handy.

It seems there is a cordless tool for every type of power tool these days, and one could go broke trying to constantly charge and replace those costly batteries. In fact someone gave me a cordless weed whacker and said he could not get it to run, and said that when it did work, he would have to recharge it 3 or 4 times to go all the way around his house. Well, I tested it, the battery was trash, and a replacement cost more than the original tool. Once again, NO THANKS. Give me a plug in model, or in the case of the weed whacker, a gasoline model. However, I do like my corded plug in electric chainsaw for small tree trimming jobs, because it always starts without having to pull a rope, dont require mixing gas and oil, or having to go to town to buy gas just to do a little tree pruning.

But there are more and more cordless devices made and sold, and I have to ask myself who buys all this stuff. I get the feeling it's the advertisers that *think* we need this stuff, more than anything else. Of course they must be making a fortune on battery replacements, so they want us to buy that stuff, even if it's usually inferior to the corded model.

Then again, I think I've now seen the ultimate in rediculous cordless devices. They now sell a florescent battery operated camping lantern, which resembles those old "Coleman" lanterns that used to run on white gas or propane. While a florescent bulb model makes some sense, since it's really just a hanging flashlight, the kicker comes with the remote control that comes with it. I dont know about you, but when I'm camping inside a 10 foot tent out in the wilderness, why do I need a remote control to turn off this lantern before hitting my sleeping bag? Not to mention another set of batteries are needed for the remote, and since they have not yet developed a "battery tree", if the battery in the remote dies at 2am, 30 miles from a store, where do I get one?

I think my plain old LED flashlight works just fine when camping, and at home, I'd rather install a few more outlets and have a few more extension cords for my power tools than play the costly battery replacement game.

I've never yet had a cord attack me, and am confident I never will.

Reply to
mancave

Now there is a remote control finder too. If you ever lose the remote control for your lantern in your 10 foot tent you can find it instantly with:

And yes, it does come with batteries.

Reply to
recyclebinned