Is there a better place to be these days.

Seems this site is being loaded with crap.

Reply to
Leon

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in news:5yydnalxP7hUjCX4nZ2dnZfqn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reddit used to get my vote for the closest to Usenet, but the owners have no clue what made it special. At any rate, the woodworking sub is all "look what I made".

Facebook groups are a giant pain. There's a lot of good information there, but Facebook keeps reloading the page when I shut the phone screen off and showing me different stuff.

So as far as general woodworking goes, perhaps not?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Google Groups will discontinue its feeds to Usenet groups on 24 Feb '24; this may tame the flood.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

.

The crap will disappear in 16 days (Feb 14, 2024).

Google will no longer support posting to usenet after that date.

Can't come soon enough.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Some news admins have been more proactive; I've been dropping all Google Groups-originated traffic for several months, and I believe Eternal September does the same. Accounts on E-S are free, for anyone who doesn't want to wait.

john

Reply to
John

So what's the leakage from?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

What leakage? You're apparently posting from giganews, and I don't know if they are filtering GG traffic or not, so you may be seeing massive quantities of spam in this group. On my end, I see no spam.

john

Reply to
John

Puckdropper snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com on Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:39:22 GMT typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I've just discovered redit myself, in the fiction area. Some of it is good, and some of it not so good. As far as "look what I made" - that may also be a result of "founders effect" - the people posting there are showing their work, and not necessarily asking for advice, so others think it is all about showing off and not asking for advice. I do not know.

Facebook, oy. Yes, if you can find the page it can be useful. But as you say, once you have seen a post Facebook decides you're done with that. or it decides I want to skip over several posts (which may be a browser issue) which is usually when I decide I've more important things to do. Scoop the cat litter. Take out the garbage. Mop the kitchen. Stare out the window at the traffic.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yes, GigaNews. Right now, they are obviously not filtering.

GigaNews keeps everything forever, and lets users find what they want.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn