Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 13 of 16

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The "one wire" (not really, it's a three wire - the "one wire" functionality is provided by changing the integral regulator to an aftermarket unit, and personally, I'd rather rewire rather than use a one wire) Delco was introduced at least by 1973; my dad's pickup has a 10SI under the hood.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I was sure the one wires came out in the late '70s or early '80s. - I mean the TRUE one wire regulator unit. The 10SI itself came out in 1972.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I dunno. When I noticed it, I called the dealership. They told me Ford did not have access to 100-amp alternators and equipped all their taxi and police package vehicles with Delcos they bought from GM.

9MPG, I hope, not 9MPH - and are you absolutely sure it had a DELCO alternator? All the heavy duty equipped interceptors I ever worked on had Leece Neville alternators back then.
HeyBub wrote:

Hi, So visiting every gas station along the way. More time spent filling up than driving, Eh?!

The only thing the car couldn't pass was a gas station.

Weirdest deal was my '91 Ford Econoline 150 van with 4.9L straight 6 w/ fuel injection and overdrive. When I lived in CA, near sea level, the best I could avg was 18-19mpg babying the go pedal to keep it below 62mph. Moved to CO (where the van was originally sold) and I could get 23-24mpg running at 70-75mph. Go figure. Too bad I put it into a tree on the outside of an icy turn. :(
nb

my 2000 ranger 4-banger (5 spd stick) (24mpg) just turned 100k. No issues other than rubber (lasted 75k) and brakes (lasted 85k).
scott

They really only cracked if they were overtorqued. Usually started with a loose manifold and a burned gasket - so it was tighteded trying to fix the gasket leak - which then cracked the manifold.. I know - I replaced lots of them back then. Including ONE of my own.

But it only downshifted into second. To get it into low required hitting the brakes and the accellerator to get the driveshaft speed down (by sliding the rear wheels) and the throttle pressure up (by flooring the accellerator. With my 63 set up the way I had it (206RWHP) I could force it into low at about 58MPH, but no higher - and it would do 60 in 1st if I held it in.

The 727 was good for "fish-hooks" at about 20MPH on a 318 or 383. As foir the engine, it was USED as an industrial engine, but it was DESIGNED as an automotive powerplant - actually for the Valiant (first application of the slant six engine)

The points were on the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust, so exhaust burns were NOT a possibility unless you were an orangutan.
I always set the engine to #1 TDC and pulled the distributor to do points on my conventional ignition Slanties. On the 170 I had to - set them up on the distributor machine to make sure they didn't bounce or float at 6500RPM. Anything other than #1 TDC they were a royal pain to get properly retimed.

They did - actually quite a few companies - but You didn't see many - the warmup wirhout a heat rizer was pretty tricky in cold weather, and carb icing was a real problem with any humidity at all.
Ignition was never a problem if you used good wires and caps - mine would start with a garden hose running over the engine.

The manifolds generally cracked when they were overtorqued trying to stop a manifold gasket leak.

They would not shift into low above about 58MPH, and even then you needed to have your foot to the floor to do it.

The slant six was designed for the Valiant - and then used as an industrial engine, truck engine, and base engine on just about everything Chrysler built.
The dual pump automatics would take a real beating - but the "fish-hook" trick generally only worked at speeds under 30MPH (actually 20, IIRC) They would not engage reverse at higher speeds.

The true failure are the parents who do not support the teacher.
When there is no value placed on education at home, there will be no learning at school.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Yeah, blame everybody but the bureaucrats who keep piling more and more and more crap on the schools.

Who do you think the bureaucrats are trying to please????
You seem to have the unique ability to throw gasoline on the blaze and yet show no hint of any rational ability to understand the problem.
Leon wrote:

The legislators of course.

So what do you believe the problem to be?
Hint--blaming the teachers is like blaming the deckhands for what happened to the Titanic.

I had a Volkswagen once. Then I got a job.

Complete and total bullshit! As a mechanic who has owned more than one VW, don't even bother with trying to convince me of VW's reliability. A good practical design (bug) yes. Reliable? Please. My first bug, the engine trashed itself at a mere 45mph. The brakes locked up by themselves. I had a diesel Rabbit that almost did a Blues Brother's disintergration right before my eyes ....and suffered the exact same brake lock-up, I might add. I was driving a 1950 Chevy pickup long after my VWs were consigned to the trash heap.

Not as sad as your total failure at exercising common sense.
nb
notbob wrote:

Sounds more like the guy who sold it to you saw a chump coming and you simply proved he was right.

Moi? ...lol. Don't look now, nutbob, but your little personal anecdote above tells that tale about you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Au Contraire - they make VERY reliable cars. You can rely on them to make trouble when they are most needed.
That said, one of the least troublesome cars I ever owned - and the price was definitely right on top of it all, was a 1972 Vauxhaul Viva HC - sold in Canada as the Pontiac Firenza. I bought it for $250 in 1979 when it was traded for a new Lada It took the typical British "fondling it's nuts" on a semi-regular basis, but the only breakdown I suffered with it was when the timing belt broke heading south out of Sydney Nova Scotia - fixed at the side of the road - and the regulator died the next day just North of Halifax.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Did it have Lucas electrics?
TDD

Reliable???????????? To a point. But I worked a LOT on the few that were running around my home town in the late 60s and early 70s. And for years after too.
I drove a 1949 Beetle - it didn't have enough power to hurt itself - or even get out of it's own way - and it DID last a long time, with regular and periodic infusions of sweat, cursing, and parts.
We had TWO 1500 squarebacks die on us in one week-long holiday and we never did get to our destination.