Rethinking "Made in China"

Depends on your definition of "top" The engine lays leaned to the right - and the starter lays on the "top" or Left side - while the distributor hangs, with the oil filter, on the "bottom" or Right side. You pretty well have to change the starter from above because it generally doesn't fit between the block and the steering box working from below. ANd the exhast and intake manifolds limit access from above, particularly when hot.

Reply to
clare

Almost the ONLY way, on most.

Reply to
clare

9MPG, I hope, not 9MPH - and are you absolutely sure it had a DELCO alternator? All the heavy duty equipped interceptors I ever worked on had Leece Neville alternators back then.
Reply to
clare

You want to know what else fit in between them?

Some of them WERE punishment!!!

1928 Chevy, 1935 Chevy, 1938 Hudson Terraplane, 1961 Mini, 1949 VW Bug, 1972 Vauxhaul HC (Firenza) (AKA Magnum), 1967 Peugeot204, 1972 Renault 12 (rallye car), 1975 Pacer, 1965 Rambler Classic, 1972 Ambassador, ?? VW Rabbit, 1995 Pontiac TransSport, 1967 Chevy Nova, 1972 Dodge Colt,(Mitsubishi Gallant), 1982 Corolla wagon, 1981 Tercel, 1996 Mystique, 1989 and 1990 Aerostars plus a few motorcycles - not counting the company cars I've driven.
Reply to
clare

Yes, I understand things at BMC went pretty shitty for a long time.

But: To give you an example: the straight5 Volvo engines at 2 or 2.4 litres with a turbo are great. Quite economical, and capable to turning a 2t brick shithouse of a car into a 'pocket rocket'. I start overtaking some slow-poke at 50mph, by the time I pass his bonnet I'm doing 75mph and that's without taking a run-up or anything.

Now Ford/Volvo has seen fit as of 2007 to put a petrol guzzling 3.2 litre engine into the new XC70ies. It doesn't fscking NEED that, it'll just be a drain on the wallet ... and quite possibly not as good a motor.

I don't like Ford any more. They sold me what turned out to be a Ford- rebadged Shibaura tractor, made from crap steel that rotted like nobody's business within a few years. Some friends drove a Ford-rebadged Mazda that spent more time in the shop than on the road ... nah. My local mechanic says the more recent Ford engines are crap in his opinion, and I won't argue.

f.w.i.w.

If they're going to start reselling Mazdas rebadged as Volvos, then I might as well go and buy Japanese at half the price in the first place; hell, I can buy 3 Korean 'luxury vehicles' for the price of one Volvo for that matter, plus, I'd go Toyota over Mazda any old day of the week.

Anyhow, getting way off topic here now ;-)

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hgg03r$olq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

My next door neighbor has 2 Chryslers. Both cars sound like bombs exploding when they start their cars.

Reply to
ktos

I built a 170 slant six that came out of a 64 Valiant and dropped it in a 65 Dart. I installed a 3/4 race cam and found the biggest one barrel Holly carburetor I could find and that car would do 60 in first and 100 in second by holding the shifter in gear. It blew the stock muffler off so I installed one of those Thrush mufflers. I replaced the little 13" wheels with a set of 14 inchers and found a set of Firestone Grand Prix radial tires and a set of heavy duty shocks. I had to beat the lip of the front fenders out a little so the tires wouldn't rub. The car would take a corner so hard that it snapped a front hub out of a brake drum. At a wrecking yard, I found these huge finned drums and spindles on a V8 Dart and installed those which solved the breakage and braking problem. The car had a single master cylinder, ditched that and got a dual master cylinder from a van. What I loved about my Mopars is that I could get parts from different models and mix and match. It was a lot of fun. It's been about four decades since I had that six cylinder terror but I miss it more than any of them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And GM is cleaning up Saab ...

Reply to
LDosser

You can see how much room you've got for improvement!

Reply to
LDosser

Ha, I'd forgotten about the lights! And the hellishly long stops with absolutely No air circulation? Usually right under the river. This in the days when the definition of Daring was taking off your shoes and socks and rolling up your trouser legs while having a day at the shore. NTM three blokes in suits, ties, knitted cardigans, and tweed caps filling potholes or digging ditches!

Reply to
LDosser

So visiting every gas station along the way. More time spent filling up than driving, Eh?!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Police vehicle?

1970?

Delco alternator?

Very doubtful.

That was Leece-Neville business back then.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Because under all the accumulated material wealth of the USA beats the heart of a 3rd world country.

Last Tuesday NPR aired a snippet from a DC "tea party" protesting the health care plan where a guy says "We fought the British over a 3 percent tea tax. We might as well bring the British back,". Hell, at least everyone could get health care.

It's probably just my perception, but his round of national vitriol has brought out alot of people who hate people--in the abstract, the idea of people--that someone, somewhere, might get something they don't deserve--and they won't stand for it anymore.

Fake ID

I can still remember back in the 50's hearing our neighbor start his '56 Dodge. It was a godawful sound very fitting for such an ugly car. Remember the three-tone paint jobs available back then? Most every maker had two-tone, but Dodge had to top them with three.

Over the past 48 years, I've owned many different brands of car, but never anything from Chrysler. Nor will I ever. I still don't like their style.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

-snip-

Oh man you missed a couple of goodies-- I had '66 Dart from 76-84 & replaced it with a 84 Reliant from 84-'01.

I liked the Reliant so much I tried to find another Chrysler product- but they had already dropped the K line and had nothing to offer. Ford and Chevy have split my business since 95.['95 Taurus, '01 Impala- and a '10 Focus]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Meh? My ideal driveway for "drive it forever" cars would be filled with

50's Studebakers, 60's MoPars, and 80's VWs.

Sadly, IMHO cars hve gone downhill since the 80's in terms of durability and user serviceability.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Were they using gear reduction starters that early?

that's a GOOD sound!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Could have been replaced with a Delco.

Reply to
salty

Their style has varied so much, and so often, that it's pretty hard to say you don't like their style as a reason to have never owned one and to say you never will.

I'll own another Chrysler long before I'll own another GM!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Definitely downhill on serviceability, but thankfully they require a lot less. As far as durability? Yes, the old ones took more punishment - but with minimal care, the new ones will outlast the old ones. No carbs to screw up (or screw around with) No points to wear ot burn, stainless exhausts and no phosphourous in the gas means mufflers and pipes often last the life of the car - and rack and pinion steering means no sloppy worn out steering boxes, idler arms, and pitman arms.

But yes, a Stude Golden Hawk, a '55 Chrysler 300, an early Paxon Avanti, a 1953 or 54 Coronet Sierra and a matching Coronet Coupe, a

1966 Plymouth GTX, a '64 Fury convertible, a 69 SC Rambler,and a 68 AMX would all be in "the stable" for me. Oh - and a '53 starliner coupe. With perhaps a 55-56 T-Bird and a GT350 Shelby, and possibly a 59-61 Vette.
Reply to
clare