Rethinking "Made in China"

I think my dad had one of those for a while and when I was in college, he got a Rambler wagon. It was an interesting car, the vacuum advance rotated the whole distributer on the six cylinder engine and the doors had double seals which made for a remarkable lack of wind noise while zipping down the highway at 70mph.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I suspected road speed might have been another factor in its not selling. Kinda like the very nice '52 Chevy p/u I owned and finally sold due to it's 5.16:1 rear end that made 55mph a stretch. The F-head (Hurricane) no doubt makes it even more rare, the only time I've even seen one of these bizarre hermaphrodite engines being in our HS auto shop, back when I didn't know a valve stem from a king pin.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The only 5th Avenue worth buying is the candy bar, IMO.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL! ....agreed.

I got it free and sold it as soon as I got it running. I wasn't into tuna-boats yet (which came later, with age), being a young turk and sports car and motorcycle aficionado, then.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have played. wrenched, hated and enjoyed a whole myriad of european cars. When I lived in Toronto, I had a garage with a full-size pit. (The next owner had to have it filled, residential bylaws and all that shit) A lot of co-workers and friends used it to change their oil and worked on brakes, mufflers etc. One such co-worker had a love affair with Saab. He had restored a two-stroke, that thing was a riot. It went like stink (I think that's where the phrase originated as it smelled quite bit with castrol racing oil in the gas) He and his wife drove new Saabs and I had the pleasure to drive those magnificent cars on more than one occasion. For the longest time, Saabs would give Audis, MiniCoopers and Volvo a pretty good run on the Rallye circuit. Great cars and a crying shame to see them go. A shame to see Saturn get reduced to Opels and then dropped altogether. A shame to see Pontiac get dropped as well...although not so much. I have, for sale, a 1996 Saturn SC1 with 270,000 KM on it... all it ever needed was 2 sets of tires and a brake job. Always starts, A/C always cold, never a problem. Never. The interior.. well it is kinda falling apart, seats are shot etc.

Reply to
Robatoy

Same here. But ours isn't due to ground temperature, but the storage temperature of the water tanks. During the summer, don't need much hot water at all for a shower, during the winter, we need to turn down the cold water considerably.

If the water is coming out of a well, then the temperature is going to be pretty constant year-round. In general, that means cold. When I was growing up, I'd see pictures of kids on TV running through sprinklers having a grand old time. I'd try that (on a farm with well water) and I'd last for a couple dashes through the water before I had to give up. I think our water was about 60 degrees. It wasn't fun.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think you are 100% correct. I was fortunate to be able to visit China for a couple weeks with Chinese engineers and grad students as hosts. They are VERY interested in doing things right and are very proud of their country. They have a ways to go but it won't take them long. We visited a road construction site where most of the heavy equipment operators were hardly out of their teens. They were putting in the curbing just prior to paving with asphalt. They had modern survey instruments to maintain line and grade and were installing large, but hand handlable and hand installed individual granite curb stones that formed the gutter. The gutter line was perfect as was the pavement when they were done. They also don't waste a lot of time and effort on "environmental and archeological" salvage issues like we do here. They just dig it up and rebury it. We could see the remains of at least two prior iterations of roads buried several feet under the current construction level. The US is almost assuredly on a long, slow (best case) downhill slide due to over-regulation and nannystateism.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That would be fine if we had a balanced trade, but we run a huge imbalance. They send us stuff and we print money to pay for it. Can't go on much longer unless you want them to own the country.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Boy, you got a GOOD one!!

That's not hard. One good laugh is worth $15 today!!!!

If you need to ask "how much" you know you can't afford it, The purchace price of a Mercedes is just the "entry fee"

Reply to
clare

Here in Ontario 10 years was doing VERY well for the sixties era GM midsise and up frames.

A unibody lasted a lot better.

Reply to
clare

They are out of business. That's about as far as they can fall, I guess.

Reply to
salty

Talking AMC - Our family has had a few.

Dad bought a 61 American (ex Bell Canada) to use as a truck, then gave it to my brother to drive. When he was finished with it, it became a truck again, untill it was no longer fit for the road and my younger brother used it as a "field car" for a couple years. He tried hard to kill it, but couldn't. Dad also had a 64 Classic that was used as a truck - and he gave it to one of his men to drive because it was better than the heap he was hauling his family around in. Dad also bought a brand new 1968 Rebel wagon. I had a '65 classic that I bought for $65, drove for 6 months, and sold for $300 when I left to go to Aftica in 1973. Then I had a 1975 Pacer for a few years, and a 1972 Ambassagor SST 9 passenger wagon. Then there was the "pre-AMC" 1937 or 1938 Terraplane.

They were ALL good cars (with the exception of the "terrible pain")

I always liked the styling of the late '50s Ramblers.

Reply to
clare

I generally got 12K on points. The 170 Valiant ate spark plugs for breakfast until I discovdered NipponDenso W25EPU plugs. They were STONES as far as heat range goes - but they were the only plug I could keep in that car for more than 2000 miles.

Reply to
clare

Except the Delco mounting brackets wouldn't fit a Ford wirhout MAJOR reworking, and the L-N bolted right in.

Reply to
clare

When I bought it, the car did not run. We did get it going, but soon after spent another $55 on rings and bearings, then it ran really well.

There was no heat because the ducting for heated air rusted out. I was caught in a torrential rain on the PA Turnpike one day. Drove for some miles and when I hit the brakes, it was like a tidal wave as the accumulated water in the back floor rushed forward over my feet. The back plastic window was pop riveted in place and fogged so that you could not see through it.

With the help of my brother, we converted it to 12 volt. He took a GM Delco alternator and had the shaft bored and threaded to go over the existing shaft of the VW generator pulley in place of the nut. A bracket was fabricated to keep the alternator body from spinning. All the bulbs wee changed and a rheostat controlled the wiper motor. The starter, OTOH, really cranked on 12V.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

David N is just "rattlin' yo cage", pullin' yo chain, see if he can getcha riled up.

Like many, he prolly had a dead dawg or cat from melamine poisoning in pet food ingredients back in spring/summer '06.

And/or maybe his wife comments every evening "We gotta live in a house smells like rotten eggs onaccounta your idiot Chinee drywall!" just before she vomits on the rug.

And he knows that the melamine, H2S, etc were not dictated by anything in the bloody, bloody USA.

But he makes a point. The Chinese aren't doing so bad with a lot of things. They just go too fast sometimes.

They got no monopoly on cheap dumb junk/garbage. It's produced everywhere. And if you doubt that, just take a look at the output of the alleged US Congress and the media that allegedly reports on 'em.

AQ

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935

Reply to
Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

Still could have been replaced. I can imagine a small town with only 2 or 3 squad cars being in a hurry to get them back in service with whatever they could get their hands on fastest.

Reply to
salty

It evens out. China has a trade deficit with India, and India has a deficit with us.

As for China "owning the country," well, SOMEBODY has to own it!

Reply to
HeyBub

I dunno. When I noticed it, I called the dealership. They told me Ford did not have access to 100-amp alternators and equipped all their taxi and police package vehicles with Delcos they bought from GM.

Reply to
HeyBub

Which in the case of the heavy duty alternators WOULD have been the Leece Neville - They OWNED that market in those days. The 180 amp? delcos were scarce as hen's teeth.

Reply to
clare