Are all comealongs made in China?

I just bought a 4 ton comealong from the local 'Tool Store' to remove my stump after severing all the roots I could find.

I think it was regular $59 on sale for $29, the best they had. The release never did work right out of the box. There's a little aluminum bolt on a spring that's supposed to push the ratchet out of the way, but it just kept getting bent. The winching seemed to go fine, except I noticed that the rivet that the third hook attaches to had popped loose. Fortunately the tension kept in place, so that the cable didn't snap loose and take my head off.

So I was looking around the net for a better version, but they all pretty much look like the one I bought. Some are $8 on eBay, cheap is not what I want in a comealong. The stump is out BTW, so it's not something I'll need until the next time.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Maasdam Pow'r Pull

dpb

All of that style comealong are made in China these days. There are similar functioning units that are high quality, high price and typically not made in China available. You can find some from 4x4 suppliers and from industrial suppliers.

Another option that often works with made in China stuff is to rebuild the unit replacing the substandard fasteners with quality ones since it's usually the fasteners that are the problem and the rest of the unit is typically ok.

Reply to
Pete C.

Masdaam used to be a very good come along. I think they may be imported now.

I have always preferred the double ratchet on the American Power Pull. They are still made in the USA. Here:

DanG

I use a few of those el cheapos.They are OK if you don't over extend them. I've pulled a lot of small stuff out with them during the past 20 years and use them to pull disabled garden tractors up on landscape trailers. I've never spent more than $15 - I have as many broken as I do working right now. But I also have a very old, second hand automotive chain hoist that will pull a house off it's foundation.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

They may be manufacturing offshore now, but they're still building the same design/quality. Parts are still interchangeable w/ my 40+ year old one...

Reply to
dpb

I like the Maasdam pullers. Have owned several, and they don't crush like the flimsy Chinese ones.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

for the last comealong you'll ever need to purchase see

I believe they are made in PA. It will set you back more then $25 but unless you seriously abuse it, it will last a lifetime or 2.

Reply to
AndrewV

Yeah, it occurred to me to replace the rivet with a steel bolt with locking nut, but this doesn't really address the crappy release mechanism. I'm not sure how I would fix this, not having seen any other models. I think I'll exchange the one I have for now, until I can find something better.

The Maasdam and American Power Pull look reasonable, but I don't see any local dealers (Toronto).

Reply to
Bill Stock

Bill Stock wrote: ...

Maasdam at least has actual cast gear and ratchet and the release works nicely...

Sure there are online distributors -- their model w/ the wire grip is the most popular in the US midwest for fencing so farm supply distributors are a good place to look. That probably isn't a high demand in Toronto, I gues... :) I've also seen them on eBay on occasion...

Reply to
dpb