Rethinking "Made in China"

Funerals for dead cucumbers. The thought boggles the mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yep, leaks around the rings and valve stems. Can't say I reccommend this for climates colder than AL, those winter starts are tough.

I just got rid of a '84 toyota p/u that was running with bar and chain oil in it to keep it from fouling the plugs.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

=========================

Think pesticides.

Think rash.

I knew a somebody who found this out the hard way.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Interesting idea. I've used heavier oils, or STP oil treatment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You admit to associating with people who have sex with cucumbers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Depends on the vehicle. I had a 318 in a 74 van. When the weather became very hot (100+), specially after they took the lead out of gas, it would ping badly going up a grade. I timed it by removing the engine shroud, loosening the distibutor clamp nut, and adjusting the distributor until the pinging ceased. All this while driving up said grade, the distributor being a within easy reach of my right hand.

I had this happen once. I removed the distibutor cap and saw it was literally dripping moisture. I liberally sprayed it and the points with WD40 and reassembled. Fired right up. The WD stands for water displacement.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The old-timer's trick was to change to paraffin-based oil. It would slow the leak and any smoking way down. This was always a last ditch solution to an old tired engine needing rebuild cuz it would sludge up an engine beyond belief and could never return to reg oils. I doubt you can even find/buy paraffin-based oil, anymore.

nb

Reply to
notbob

My old '62 Dodge Lancer with slant six and AT got 22mph on highway.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Even the supposedly best of them ...Mercedes and BMW.... are not without flaws. My buddies SL head gasket leaks oil like the Exxon Vadez and its paint went just as quickly as my same year Civic in the scorching CA sun. Another friend's BMW dash upholstery split open like ripe puffball, and it only 8 yrs old. I've seen brand new Mercedes with orange peel paint to rival the worst from detroit. Having recently moved here to CO, I'm stunned to find how popular Buicks are. Talked to a Fifth Ave owner who had 350K miles without a hiccup. Quality is where you find it and not necessarily from where you expect it.

nb

Reply to
notbob

my 2000 ranger 4-banger (5 spd stick) (24mpg) just turned 100k. No issues other than rubber (lasted 75k) and brakes (lasted 85k).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Definitely. Very popular in CA.

I've seen one, recently, in a Euro repair garage parking lot. I don't know if it runs or is jes fer show, as it's eternally in the same spot.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I think the important part is in distinguishing between design issues and manufacturing ones - i.e. whether there's something fundamentally bad about the design, or if the fault lies with the way they're put together. I'm not sure if you can say that a "European car" is bad if the faults are all on the assembly side, and that assembly is done locally to the country where the car is sold.

Wonder what the record currently is and who holds it? Back in the '80s I think Mercedes had it for one of their diesels, but that was a loooong time ago now.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Yes! In fact, there's one for sale jes a few blocks from that VW bus/pickup I mentioned. The guy has had it up for sale since I moved here 2 yrs ago. I'm becoming more and more curious as to why it has never sold, this being major jeep country (CO Rockies @ 8K ft!). Price too high? Mech problems? I'd even consider buying it, it being so downright funky and rare. I should call him one of these days. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

There is a common misconception about Paraffin-based oils and sludge formation. Many crude oil based engine oils have Paraffin in them and those oils do not cause sludge buildup in engines according to some experts, others have a different opinion. I remember the oil advertising for Pennsylvania grade crude oil which is high in paraffin.

Pro:

Con:
TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The secret was to carry an extra "dual ballast resistor" in the glove box for all the Mopars with the electronic ignition. I had several go out and it was a 10 minute or less repair job.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They weren't such great vehicles. I am not sure they had 4wd, either. Basically a CJ with a lot of extra weight on it.

Reply to
salty

I've also done timing with the doghouse off. Wasn't that a bit hot, with all the hot blast from the radiator coming into the passenger compartment?

Yep, good old WD. I found the ground on the ignition module troublesome.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bet that was a hazard. Watched a lot of bumpers did you?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

The real secret is not to get involved with a Chrysler POS.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On 12/18/2009 3:23 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Well, all I can say is "you suck". Here we were, having a nice discussion about *affordable* (now) LF cameras, and you have to start talking about your Mercedes ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl