Replacing a shower knob?

I was able to pry/pull off the handle for my shower, and it mounts onto a T-shaped plastic arm that is the control arm (?). It's a single knob style, with a chrome plate around it.

I'd like to replace the handle. So I took it to HD, but two plumbing guys there both looked at it and said "no" - it's not compatible with what they sell. I don't know the brand, unfortunately.

Any suggestions for online shops, or how else to find compatible handles?

Thanks.

Reply to
Julie

You might check the maker of other faucets in the house. Perhaps this is same brand.

LB

Reply to
LB

wrote

Excellent suggestion ... but no other original faucets around.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

Interesting timing on this. My Symmons Temptrol shower won't shut off completely so I have a small, constant drip. I was going to pull it apart and replace the appropriate parts but I can't get the stupid handle off to even begin. I tried injecting vinegar in to remove any mineral buildup but it didn't make any difference. I was thinking of trying CLR. Did you use any special tool or did your handle just come off easily? If so, I'm jealous! 8-)

Thanks in advance.

to send me mail, remove xyz from my email address.

Reply to
scorch

Mine had a smaller plastic plate in the center that pried off (fingernail or flathead into joint, pull), then the whole handle itself pulled straight off. Not hard, you just have to know where to pry.

Unfortunately when I took it to a "real" plumbing store, turns out my only option is replacement with the same $25 handle (which, instead of selling, they suggested I just use vinegar to clean the old one. Good shop!), or total replacement of the valve ($$$).

A small constant drip might be a bigger or more intenal problem, tho. I'm no plumber, nor do I play one on TV.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

FWIW:

Recently one of my shower knobs also needed replacement and the showerhead started to drip until it finally drove me crazy. The faucet assembly was a Delta unit but one that HD did not have any parts for. I ultimately visited a local hardware store who did have an original valve assembly. The new knob was only about $5, the valve assembly about $35 but there is no longer any drip, the knob look like new (well it is) and it turns well.

Point is, sometimes it pays to spend for OEM parts because most often you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

Bob Mariotti