Remving Dried Elmers Glue from Carpet

My toddler poured Elmers glue on a couple of spots on the wall to wall carpeting. I am getting ready to sell my house and would like to find a remedy since I didn't find the problem until the glue was already dried. I am sensing that there is no remedy other than patch the areas with pieces of carpet from the closet, but if anyone has a magical idea, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Reply to
motherof2

Do what the other Joe said. And, just to be sure after you call the manufacturer, you could put some glue on a piece of scrap cloth, let it dry, and then try the gentlest cleaner you have on hand to see if it works. Old Indian trick: Whatever shampoo you use on the kid's hair.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The *white* Elmer's glue is water soluble when dry. Blot with sponge dampened with warm water, and follow by blotting with a clean towel.

If it was the brown Elmer's glue I don't think that trick will work.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

imho:

I have had luck with such items, like play-doh, paste, etc doing this.

  1. Chip as much way as possible without hurting anything.

  1. Soften it up with a damp cloth, for a while. Not too long, I'm affraid of mold and mildew. :D

  2. Carpet cleaning machine, over and over.

I can get most stains down to very unnoticable with spot cleaning, and then when I do regular rug cleaning I can get about invisible. It seems to work for me, but no clue if it will work for you.

tom @

Just Joshin