Dried Blood on Carpet

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks from off-white wool-blend carpet?
Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time, various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4 weeks later.
(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)
--
Rod

On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:

Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents than I realised.

It may help if you say what you attempted. You didn't use hot water, I hope?
Googling "clean blood out of carpet" produces *many* results.
On Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:34:44 PM UTC, GB wrote:

He just waves his magic wand and the stains disappear!
Owain
wrote in message

Perhaps, but shortly afterwards there is the appeal for tips on how to remove semen stains...
On 08/12/2013 04:18, Richard wrote:

Well Kipper me capstans!

On 08/12/2013 04:18, Richard wrote:

wasn't he on Captain Pugwash
On 08/12/2013 17:53, Rick Hughes wrote:

Along with Roger the cabin boy?
On 07/12/2013 18:34, GB wrote:

I have not tried anything - the people there at the time did something but I don't know what. And cannot find out for some time.
--
Rod

On 07/12/2013 18:34, GB wrote:

I don't offer it as a service, I pass it on to Desmond who has the machinery.
I did spend years in the game, hence this;
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title rpet_cleaning#Carpet_Cleaning_FAQ

Unfortunately, the longer left, the harder to remove. If it's still red, I would try dampening with plain soap (not coloured) and water, leave for a while (but keep damp), and then try blotting off. If it's brown, then the iron in the blood is now rust, and that's harder to remove. Things like phosphoric acid will react with it, but the resulting products may be no easier to remove from a white carpet. Clear vinegar (acetic acid) may dissolve it, although you might get a resulting green iron compound which may or may not easily blot up.
Whatever you try, testing it on a hidden area is probably a good thing, in case it reacts with anything else in the carpet.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.
Adam Funk wrote:

Oxalic acid is quite useful for iron based stains in wood. effective but not too aggressive. Might work in this instance.
On 07/12/2013 20:49, Bob Minchin wrote:

Thanks Bob and Adam.
--
Rod

On 07/12/2013 20:49, Bob Minchin wrote:

TMH usually recommends Prochem products, this is what I could find that might fit the bill:
http://www.prochem-uk.com/product.php?xProd &xSec
--
Dawood

On 07/12/2013 23:56, gremlin_95 wrote:

I do indeed. I'd suggest;
(Amazon.com product link shortened)86494646&sr=8-4&keywords=stain+devil+blood

"Remove Blood, Vomit, ...." I'm afraid that I was too revolted to read any further.
On 08/12/2013 10:28, GB wrote:

Can't say I am looking forward to the process...
--
Rod

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 16:26:37 +0000, polygonum wrote:

Whimp, no kids?

Just don't google on the diseases you can catch from someone elses blood. Wear gloves.
Lets just say SWMBO'd would literally have to be at deaths door for lack of blood before she accepted *any* blood product. Lack of volume pump in more saline, lack of red cells, she'll put up with being anaemic for a few weeks and adjust her diet to include more iron and things to help iron absorption. Low white cells, just hope she doesn't catch anything serious. She used to run the heamatology lab at Barts...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/12/2013 18:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:

At least this is my mother's blood. Possibly safer that any random stranger's red stuff. (Though that now has been 'contaminated' by some blood donors' blood...)
--
Rod

Thank you - duly ordered. :-)
--