Question About Old Posts

Hi, guys.
I enjoy this group and have gotten good information here. Unfortunately, I can't add much.
There was a thread some time ago about calling your own phone number. I tried to google it but couldn't find it. Can anyone tell me how to call my own phone #?
My husband had a garage put up in the backyard, and that is his woodshop. It would be nice if I could call him. We tried to set up an intercom but that didn't work with the old wiring in this house. I have considered walkie-talkies, but hear that you have to get some sort of FCC license for them.
By the way, the garage went up speedily and the results were good. Tuff Shed did good work. The whole thing, with double-pane windows and insulation and everything cost about 17 grand. The neighbor across the alley had a kitchen built for 50 grand and it took about 9 months from start to finish (I know our project was much simpler).
Any help is appreciated.
I don't know of a way to call your own number without getting a busy signal. Get a pair of FRS radios (low-power walkie-talkies, no license required) for approx. $40 (maybe less) at Best Buy, Office Max, etc.
Perce
On 01/09/05 05:38 pm Skirmishd tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

A lot of the expandable cordless phones have intercoms in the handsets, allowing you to talk to one another. Think I saw a base station and two handsets for $100 in an add this weekend.

These should be available for you even by E-shopping.
http://tinyurl.com/5cwae
Pretty good price and many options on them too.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

Thanks. I think I will go with this.
Or Google the things
Search: Walkie Talkie
There's tons of 'em.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

hang up and phone will start ringing. When I hear it stop, pick up the phone and I'm connected with the other phone. Only catch is if my wife hangs back up before I can reconnect because she won't hear anything there when she answers the phone. I take one of the cordless hand units out to the garage as I cut the phone line to the garage when I ran an underground gas line. The old phone line to the garage didn't go where Verizon thought it did. They even came out and marked it out.

# the answering machine picks it up and I don't get a busy signal. We have Qwest here, and the answering service is also through Qwest. The neighbor across the alley is a Qwest tech, maybe I should ask her.

I bought Sony "QuadraStation" telephones. A single "master" station that plugs into the phone line and three remotes. You can only use a single phone to make telephone calls at a time, but any one of the phones can call one of the other three in "intercom" mode. I don't think you can use the intercom while someone is making a telephone call.
My shop is about a hundred feet from the master station and it works well. I didn't want to run phone wire that far for fear of lightning induced transients killing the telephones. These phones work on 2.4Ghz wireless and there are Panasonic (at least) equivalents.
--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."

On 09 Jan 2005 22:38:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Skirmishd) wrote:

It tends to vary depending on your phone system. Best bet is ask a phone repair guy next time you spot one on the side of the road. I'm sure they aren't supposed to tell you but they usually will.
Steve B.
I dial my own number and a voice comes on saying something about hang up, wait until the other party answers - I hang up and it rings right away so I answer it and a voice says please hold until another party picks up the phone.... .

Skirmishd wrote:

Leave him alone. He needs his time alone. If it's urgent, you can walk out there.
You'll both be better for it.
We dial the number, hear a clicking sound, hangup for ring, answer to end steps. So Calif coast as syteps seem to vary by region.