just found this group and have a question...

I'm building a jewelers bench for my wife. And I'm cutting dadoes for 1/4 walnut ply panels. And was wondering how deep should the dadoes be?

Reply to
setthegearshift

A general rule I have been told and do is dado 1/3 the thickness of the piece of wood you're dadoing.

Reply to
Meanie

For side and back panels? Are space balls being used?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It all depends on the walnut and its use. If you are using 1/4" walnut to divide pigeon holes, a quarter inch is plenty. If its structural, you will need 3/8", assuming your cutting them in 3/4" inch stock.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

1/2" deep is a good safe depth.
Reply to
Leon

That depends. Generally 1/2 the thickness is acceptable. but in situations like dividers for drawers 1/3 of the thickness is preferable.

Reply to
woodchucker

Let's see now...

One said: 1/3 of the thickness the dado is in. One said: 1/4" or 1/2 of the thickness the dado is in. One said: 1/2". One asked something personal about your balls.

For me, I'd go with the 1/4" depth unless the dado is going in 1/4" material. If so, 1/8" is adequate.

I wonder what the next four or five answers will bring.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Use brad nails, then paint the walnut so the paint drips into the dado and holds it firmly in place.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Toe-nailed, of course, but if it will be load bearing then use screws too

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Sound advice. Just a couple other points. For proper adhesion, the paint must be bright yellow in color. Use some 80 grit sandpaper and sand while the paint is still wet to fill the brad nail holes. Any leftover paint can be used as a fine finish on your rifle or shotgun stocks.

Reply to
Roy

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'd probably go with about 1/2" myself. You'll get plenty of support, but not be so deep you compromise the piece you're dadoing.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've used magenta and SBB (what we used to call Shit Brindle Brown) successfully as well.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

These will be semi structural, like ply into sides of a desk(which is essentially what this project is).

I'm not sure the thickeness of the rails but the legs are like 1 5/8 thick . The rails are bigger than 3/4 for sure though. I'm afraid of cutting into my tenon on my rails.

Reply to
justin devico

Seems then that the solution would be to go with 3/8" dadoes and just make sure that you're not compromising the tenons. If you can't go 3/8" without hitting the tenon, move the tenon.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

From your descriptions thus far:

A 1/4" dadoe is quite sufficient for a plywood panel that is framed by rails and stiles/legs.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm with you.

Reply to