OT Windows 10

Page 5 of 11
On 07/30/2015 4:17 PM, Nil wrote:

I'm the other way 'round; my preferred/required applications include some which won't run past XP and I see no reason to spend thousands for new versions while the old are still functional for what I use them for (particularly since no longer consulting and there's no revenue stream against which to write of the cost). If'fen Bill's minions or his Foundation want to use some of their gains to update those, _then_ I'll think about a new OS.

On 07/30/2015 03:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Mainstream support for Window 7 ended in January. 'Mainstream' means non-security updates, phone support, and so on. Security updates will end in January of 2020.
To put it in context, extended support for XP ended in April of 2014. At that time, 27% of the systems were still running XP despite all the FUD campaigning to get people to move on. That includes many businesses.
I'm still running one box with 2000. Newer applications won't install but it does what it does as well as it ever did. If you're happy with you Windows 7, you can keep your Windows 7.
As people start using 10, consumer satisfaction will determine its success. It didn't take long for the word to get out that Vista and 8 sucked badly. Microsoft is betting a lot that 10 will have a warmer reception. It's not only MS either. PC and tablet sales have flatlined and the industry hopes the new OS will stimulate new hardware sales.
alt.home.repair:

The future of Windows 7 is not at all "uncertain". Microsoft has already committed themselves to supplying security patches for at least the next five years. Unless there's some feature you need that a later version includes, there's no reason you can't comfortably continue to use Windows 7 for many more years.
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 5:11:31 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:

Security patches yes. Other fixes, improvements, etc already ended this January when MSFT ended mainstream support. Just because there is a security patch commitment doesn't mean that new software will run on it, MSFT will fix bugs, make improvements, etc.

That sounds like uncertainty to me. How do I know what software will be coming out in the future, that it will run and be supported on a OS that MSFT has already ended mainstream support for? By getting Win 10 for free, you're on the newest release that is fully supported. And that ability to upgrade for free ends in one year. That's my point.
alt.home.repair:

What new features would you expect? There were no new features added to Windows 7 for years even before "mainstream support" ended. The purpose of an OS is to host applications, and not many features are needed. If I want to OS to do something that it doesn't do now, I'll get a program that does it. I don't expect the OS to do everything. Anyway most of those "features" are really just bundled-in, dumbed-down "lite" versions of better, more full-featured programs that are available elsewhere.

But they will never, ever guarantee that all new software from anybody forever will run on it.

What bugs fixes and improvements do you want to see from Windows 7? It's a fully mature product and just about anything I might consider to be a bug is already fixed or there are viable workarounds or I've gotten used to it.
And if you think that Microsoft is going to fix every little bug in Windows 10, I think you've another thing coming.

It does?? How so?

You don't. You don't know that about Windows 10, either.

I've been using computers for decades and I have a good sense of what will work and what won't, and if it doesn't I'm pretty good at making it work or coming up with workarounds and alternatives if needed. If and when it comes down to the point that I must upgrade Windows in order to do the work I need to do, I'll consider it then. But I'm quite certain that it will be several years before I even need to think about it.
The promise of "support" is weak and misleading in this case. It only means providing security fixes, which will keep happening with Win7 for years, and bug fixes, of which many are needed in Windows 10 and virtually none in Windows 7. The idea that you must have "support" or die is what's known as [F]ear, [U]ncertainty and [D]oubt, that is, trying to coerce you spend money with vague, unspecific intimations of the horror that *might* befall you if you don't. I think I know enough about computers, Microsoft Windows, and the industry in general to know when to be skeptical. And in this case, I know enough to feel certain that most people who are satisfied running Windows 7 or 8 right now aren't going to be better any off with Windows 10.
On 07/30/2015 06:44 PM, Nil wrote:

+1. I'll date myself by saying when I learned FORTRAN you submitted your program on Hollerith cards. FUD sells software and systems and right now there is intense interest in selling boxes. The chip manufacturers are bleeding, the desktop manufacturers are bleeding, and tablets have almost saturated the market. If hyperbole can get Joe Sixpack running down to BestBuy because he thinks his XP or 7 box will explode next week, that's good for business.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:05:42 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

The upgrade to Windows 10 is FREE for those of us running Win 7 for the next year. Let's stick to the facts. I didn't say you should run out and buy a new PC. I didn't say you should run out and buy an new OS. I said that for most of us, that can upgrade for free for the next year, is to do the upgrade to Win 10 for free, so that you're on a new OS that's fully supported and in year one of it's life cycle.
On 07/31/2015 08:31 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

Free to upgrade (if you don't count your time). Not free to use. There's too many disadvantages.
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 11:25:19 AM UTC-4, Sam E wrote:

So explain to us exactly how I have to pay to use Win 10. And why I've read several articles about upgrading and when discussing the pros and cons, none of them say any such thing.

Of course not. They get advertising from M$ or its sub-vendors. Can't be badmouthing the hand that feeds. Gobble for Windows Update backdoor.
nb
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:47:58 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

And another tin hat wearing MSFT hater weighs in, again with no supporting evidence of anything.
On 7/31/2015 11:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I've got Win 8.1 and was forced to buy MS Office when a client had trouble seeing images in docs from Open Office or Libre Office.
MS is acting like Apple and Android in trying to suck you into their store for more stuff.
For example classical games like solitaire ended with Win 7 and to get them back you have to go to their AP store. They are free but now come with side bar ads that cost maybe a dollar a month to remove.
With MS Word, the first document saving option is the cloud where I guess they profit too.
Just saw an article from Mozilla where they are pissed that Win 10 default browser is Edge. Bet there are ads on their home page.
On 7/31/2015 3:15 PM, Frank wrote:

I got a better version from www.goodsol.com for a few bucks. Has a ton of card games. I've played more games of Free Cell than a sane person should. I have it installed on 4 computers.

Did they expect different? Edge has no ads. So far, it works, nothing exceptional that I've found.
"Ed Pawlowski"

22742 games played here... 17 years worth! :>)}
On 7/31/2015 9:00 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

35,800 in about 8 years
On 07/31/2015 03:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's a little deeper than that. Windows 10 is an in place upgrade for Win7 and Win8 users. If they're like me, one of the first things they did when the got the new machine was to download Firefox (or Chrome or Opera) and set it up as the default browser.
Now the Windows 10 upgrade happens and you suddenly find your default browser is Edge. That means you have to use it long enough to google how to get the browser of your preference back. Just another annoyance. I wouldn't expect anything else; they're giving you a new OS for 'free'.
On 8/1/2015 12:20 AM, rbowman wrote:

I read up on that and you have to read the fine print during install to choose your defaults. Kinda like downloading something and unclicking express settings so you don't end up with some toolbar, Bing search, or whatever.
On 8/1/2015 12:20 AM, rbowman wrote:

I was running Win8.1 with Firefox as the default, did an in place upgrade to Win10, alter the upgrade Firefox was still there and still my default browser. The FF icon was still on my taskbar. Quit spreading FUD.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 8/1/2015 12:39 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

On 8/1/2015 12:49 AM, Ron wrote:

I read that earlier, all I can say is that it did not happen to me.