OT Windows 10

The taskbar W10 icon played me a W10 intro ad and then gave me a button to reserve a copy.

Currently I have around 6GB free of 32GB total.

Would MS give me a W10 reserve button without checking? I have a HP laptop with way more specs than this tablet and still no W10 icon on it. So I guess I don't understand all I know about that.

My biggest concern is running my legacy software so I'll wait awhile and let other people with this machine do the testing for me.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

These updates have to be installed to get the Win10 icon.

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

Reply to
Ron

| I'm running Windows 10 now. I can restore Win7 or Win8.1 images in 5 | minutes if need be. | I turned the "spyware" off,

It states clearly in the terms that you can't turn off all the spyware. It's simply not your system anymore.

| Win7-8 won't support DX12. Doesn't matter now, but it will in the | future.

To who? Gamers? They always want the latest, but for most people who use computers for practical reason, DirectX is neither here nor there.

Reply to
Mayayana

"Ed Pawlowski"

22742 games played here... 17 years worth! :>)}
Reply to
Phil Kangas

Look on the left side for a menu that has the compatibility test.

It depends on how you have updates setup. None of our work computers have the icon but it is a different version of W7 than at home.

Can't speak for the software though, this machine has nothing exotic on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

35,800 in about 8 years
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's a legitimate question, asshole. If the shoe doesn't fit, shove it harder.

Reply to
rbowman

I have no problem with trader_4 or Aunt Tilly upgrading to 10 if they so choose. However, they can save their Chicken Little act for other home users. Meanwhile the techies are either loading it on a sacrificial machine to poke at it, or sitting back to let the home users be the guinea pigs.

Reply to
rbowman

There are potential problems. I'm sure they will be addressed as soon as they surface. Hopefully the bad guys won't figure out the exploits first.

Reply to
rbowman

TANSTAAFL

Reply to
rbowman

Here is your upside....Windows Media Center that a lot of people have spent countless hours on building their library.

Every person that is buying a new computer right now with Win10 might get stuck in the same boat I'm in with the Windows 8 computer that I bought.

Drivers could also be an issue for those upgrading from Win7 to Win10.

It could also be a problem for Windows 8.1 users.

Reply to
Ron

It's a little deeper than that. Windows 10 is an in place upgrade for Win7 and Win8 users. If they're like me, one of the first things they did when the got the new machine was to download Firefox (or Chrome or Opera) and set it up as the default browser.

Now the Windows 10 upgrade happens and you suddenly find your default browser is Edge. That means you have to use it long enough to google how to get the browser of your preference back. Just another annoyance. I wouldn't expect anything else; they're giving you a new OS for 'free'.

Reply to
rbowman

The other loon? He didn't "join" you.

Reply to
Ron

I read up on that and you have to read the fine print during install to choose your defaults. Kinda like downloading something and unclicking express settings so you don't end up with some toolbar, Bing search, or whatever.

Reply to
Ron

I was running Win8.1 with Firefox as the default, did an in place upgrade to Win10, alter the upgrade Firefox was still there and still my default browser. The FF icon was still on my taskbar. Quit spreading FUD.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Home or Professional? You don't get the icon on Pro unless you do a little registry hacking.

Reply to
rbowman

You don't get the icon on 7 Pro. There are a few scripts and registry hacks that turn it on. The general idea is if you're on a LAN the IT people will push it out when they want to and not let old Mary Diddleworth upgrade her box by pushing buttons she doesn't understand.

When the icon started to appear we advised our clients 'DON'T or you're on your own.' So far our product seems to run but we also require third party packages like DB2, ESRI, and others so we won't certify 10 until all those ducks are lined up too.

Reply to
rbowman

I read that earlier, all I can say is that it did not happen to me.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Note the article, there is anoption to keep settings, I am a savvy user, and do not blindly click next all the way through an install/upgrade.

Reply to
FrozenNorth