OT - To Stormin Mormon

Page 2 of 4
On 11/11/2013 7:01 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

I mostly end up on the phone with such drones. Sigh.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11-11-2013, 19:06, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not only that, but some of them are told "If the customer asks for a supervisor, put on hold hand the phone to your neighbor. If your neighbor hands you the phone, wait fifteen seconds, then go off hold and repeat what the script says."
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html
On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:33:53 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:

Similar happened to me years ago when traveling through rural Mexico with s mall son. Left my &*^^%$))^^%$ WALLET somewhere - can't remember where. We nt back in fear & trembling -- was told me a young man had found it and tak en it home, leaving his address. We went there; he had it; I had to practi cally twist his arm to accept a small thank you. Whew! Restored my faith i n people's decency.
HB

Glad to hear of excellent experience
Historically, I've had my share of 'learned' bad experiences from Hispanic community. Examples: freshly poured concrete sidewalk in front of home being defaced by young children ACCOMPANIED by their mothers on a walk! Mothers saying nothing in spite of me charging out and yelling at them to stop it. Out about in public, being subjected to attitude towards me, attitude uncalled for, more like getting a 'pre-emptive' attitude. Or, enjoying an extremely private area along the beach, when suddenly being imposed upon by huge group, plopping down within 20 feet, on an empty beach that goes for over 1000 feet - why next to us? etc etc.
Then, late one night while driving through the bad sections of the dreaded 'east side' I ran out of gas! had to walk to a service station, yes, even late at night the station was occupied by a roudy crowd that immediately took umbrage at my presence as I walked in. Almost like What are YOU doing here? When I told them I ran out of gas at so-and-so intersection, they became very concerned. The lady station attendant handed me a plastic gallon can to go fill with gasoline, and told me to bring it back when I'm done. She never even asked for a deposit on the can, nor payment at that moment for the contents. She just said come back and when you get more pay then. One of youths said he was on his way home and had to go by where I had abandoned my car so he could drop me off, which he did. I 'primed' the car with the one gallon can the lady had given me [could have completely left that neighborhood], drove back to the station, gave her back the can and paid for the gasoline. Where upon I profusely thanked her and went on home not too much later than expected due to all the help I had received.
That experience completely erased the bad impression of the Hispanic community I had formed, ...up until that event. Now I realize, if you NEED help, you'll probably get a shirt off someone's back.
On 11/4/2013 7:59 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

Nice to hear of good experiences. I think that some public figures do try to whip up the racial discontent. Glad to hear that some people are still kind to each other.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Ddin't know about using a tree for a straight stick, but...
you can also push start an automatic. had it done to me once when no jumper cables around. First, slightly apply the brake to maintain good contact else a gap can be devastating and have to start over. put in drive, not low, get up to around 25 to 30 and STARTS right away, once dried out the massive flooding that had happened.
On 11/6/2013 7:33 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

I remember the night the clutch cable on my Chevette snapped about half past midnight. I figured it out after a while. Shift in neutral. Start the engine. Push like everything, and got it going about 1 MPH. jump in, cram the shift into first. Goose the gas, and put the flashers on. Got me to the repair garage. Walk home from the garage.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/6/2013 7:33 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

I've push started vehicles with standard shift. No fun, but it can be done. Helped start a farm tractor that way, one time, also. Pull it around with a yet larger tractor, until it starts.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Push starting a car with standard shift is easy. I used to do it, by my self, regularly, with our Gremlin (the most appropriately named car in history). Well, it gets to be a problem if you have fuel injection and the battery is completely dead. DAMHIKT.
On 11-07-2013, 08:09, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Started a VW bug once in reverse. Was parkved uphill, so put the trans in reverse, released the brake, then the clutch.
--
Wes Groleau

Pat's Polemics

To me, the most frightening aspect is that the petroleum industry a long time ago learned that it could raise the rpice with impunity, ...by simply removing the gasoline for a while. Price went from ?? to $2 instantly, yet very few stations were burnt to the ground, and no one in Congress was voted out.
Of course the justification for the increase was the instability in the MidEast. Ok, so then if the crude cost so much, why did the top seven oil companies then post the most outrages profits in history? Even as they tried to shovel the money into tax exmpt investments, so they subtract from those profits? What did they do with that money, they bought farmland, like you would NOT believe. Of corse all the farmers encouraged to 'borrow' easy money from govt sources with promises of fortunes and promptly removing most subsidies further reducing profits until many, many famers got into financial troubles and were foreclosed on and HAD to sell. Making farmland readily available at incredibly low prices.
Now, oil companies armed with the knowledge that it is possible to raise the price of a 'necessary' commodity to any level by simply removing it for awhile have bought a huge percentage of food source lands... One must wonder whether the same technique to increase profits will happen after becoming completely entrenched in food source supply. And, let's add a few laws to prevent people from growing their own food and you have an interesting scenario.
Even utilities do not seem to be exampt from the effect. After moving to AZ and being surprised at the cost of electricity; I noticed a pattern. Everytime the evening news carried people complaining about the high cost of electricity; we suddenly had power outages. Outages that lasted about two hours, just long enough to panic you, but not so long as to lose fridge and frozen foods, ...and no more talk about the high price of electricity.
On 11/7/2013 10:06 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Never let a good crisis go to waste. And if you don't have one, make your own. Always a way to make the public do what you wanted them to do.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

As in the film "Wag the Dog"?
I think that. You think that. Others think that.
So, why does it continue? Why are we 'locked' into this system?
On 11/7/2013 6:44 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

1) if it works, do it again 2) if it doesn't work, do it harder
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've deglazed a license plate using a tree but that's a story for another time.
On 11/4/2013 2:54 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

The attitude of folks living in rural America is quite different from that of people living in urban areas. If you had lost your wallet in Washington D.C. or New York City, the money and credit cards would have been removed then the wallet tossed into the nearest trash can. If the wallet had been found by a congressman, you would have gotten the wallet back with taxes taken out of the money. ^_^
TDD

In DC, they would probably mail the wallet back (no charge, franking) minus the cash and CC, and a tax levy bill included.
Wallet returned in NYC? Fugeddabouddit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/5/2013 6:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Around Birmingham, it really depends on the area and the individual. I found a new Motorola cellphone and belt clip in a trashcan where I was doing some work where me and JH were moving some equipment to a the new location of a women's clothing store. I got home with the phone and had a charger that would fit so I charged it up, found it was working then discovered a phone book entry labeled "Mom". I called the number, got voice mail, left my name and number explaining that I had found the phone. I later got a call from a young woman who had lost the phone in the clothing store. I met her at a service station nearby and returned it to her. Someone asked me why I returned the phone and my answer was, "It wasn't mine." Simple huh? ^_^
TDD

"thought you might want it back...."
One time when I was working at a factory, a woman lost her eye glasses. She put out the word, and we searched the trash barrels, dumpsters, etc. The factory found four or five pair of Rx eye glasses, none hers. Not sure if she ever got them back.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11-05-2013, 10:06, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Suppose it could have been a "troll" ?
At my high school's "homecoming bonfire" someone suddenly said "Nobody move! I just dropped my contact!" So all the people in the little group got down and started hunting. After a little bit, I heard him say it again--somewhere else. The people near me either weren't paying attention or couldn't hear as well as I could and they kept on hunting.
I didn't say anything for a while, and he did it several times more, till there were several small groups in all parts of the field looking for a contact lens in the dark.
--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.